Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Acceleration Problems

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2012, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acceleration Problems

Hi all

I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt with slightly over 40000 miles that is having some acceleration problems. I was going to gym today and was going 25mph. When trying to give it some more gas, so I could increase my speed to 40mph it acted like it did not want to accelerate. I was able to give it more gas and it get it up to 50mph (felt like it would die if it went slower than that), which was fine, as the speed limit changed shortly after that. When coming home I had a similar problem, except this time it died at an intersection. I was able to put it in park and turn it off and then restart it with no problems. I have only had this car for a little over 2 weeks, so hoping it is not a big expensive problem. Also I am planning on going out of town in a little over a week, so I need to get this fixed soon.

I did have a Ford that had a similar problem and it just needed a new fuel filter if I remember right. Anyone out there know if that could be the problem or if it is something worse. Of course I will take this car into the shop early next week, but was hoping someone with similar problems could give me some insight to what the problem might be.

In addition just wondering when Cobalt owners change their oil. The display shows the oil life to be 47%.

Thanks
Old June 2nd, 2012, 3:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelgraham2
Hi all

I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt with slightly over 40000 miles that is having some acceleration problems. I was going to gym today and was going 25mph. When trying to give it some more gas, so I could increase my speed to 40mph it acted like it did not want to accelerate. I was able to give it more gas and it get it up to 50mph (felt like it would die if it went slower than that), which was fine, as the speed limit changed shortly after that. When coming home I had a similar problem, except this time it died at an intersection. I was able to put it in park and turn it off and then restart it with no problems. I have only had this car for a little over 2 weeks, so hoping it is not a big expensive problem. Also I am planning on going out of town in a little over a week, so I need to get this fixed soon.

I did have a Ford that had a similar problem and it just needed a new fuel filter if I remember right. Anyone out there know if that could be the problem or if it is something worse. Of course I will take this car into the shop early next week, but was hoping someone with similar problems could give me some insight to what the problem might be.

In addition just wondering when Cobalt owners change their oil. The display shows the oil life to be 47%.

Thanks
Change the fuel filter
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Change the fuel filter
Hoping it is not something more than that. I am concerned, as I am going out of town next week and don't want to get stuck on the road somewhere, because it was more than that simple. If I was just driving around town to go to work, gym, or store I would not worry, as much.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelgraham2
Hoping it is not something more than that. I am concerned, as I am going out of town next week and don't want to get stuck on the road somewhere, because it was more than that simple. If I was just driving around town to go to work, gym, or store I would not worry, as much.
It looks classic filter problem to me, and it will if not fix it, take that out of troubleshooting equation.
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> michaelgraham2,

Agreed, most likely the fuel filter. If you are concerned, take it in for an inspection before your trip.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 7th, 2012, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Hi all again

Thanks for the replies. I took my car into the shop today and had it looked at. Turns out that is was the "mass airflow sensor." So I ended up paying $39.38 to have it cleaned.

I did however leave there to go put some gas in the funk, as the low fuel indicator came on. Before getting it the gas station it seemed to exhibit similar problems, as before. These problems did go away after putting gas in the tank. In any event I took back to shop and was told that the car might have just been "air locking," due to the low fuel level.

I will drive it for next few days to see if I have any of the same problems before I leave on my trip out of town. I hope not, but if I do, I guess I will need to rent a car.

I am now I just waiting hear back from another automotive electrical shop about having my aftermarket cruise control installed. I was hoping to have that done before my trip, but may have to just deal with no cruise if they can not get to it before then.