Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Fan Short 2005 Cobalt - can't fix code P0480. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2013, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Short 2005 Cobalt - can't fix code P0480. Please help.

Hello all. I have a check engine light that won't go away. I need to get the car smogged so the situation is growing rather desperate. Here is what I know. About a year ago I had to replace the transmission. I did the job myself with a lot of help from a friend. When the job was done it was discovered that the ground wire from the coolant fan was connected to power. This short kicked on the light. I have since connected the wire to the correct place and replaced the fan. I also replaced the fan relays thinking that they were bad. And replaced one of the fuses for the relays that had popped. I can't figure out how to resolve this code. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read elsewhere that people with this similar problem have had to replace the computer. I am hoping to avoi that if possible.

Thanks in advance.
-Robert
Old September 3rd, 2013, 8:50 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Were you able to resolve the issue? I did a search for the error code and found that it could be a burnt wire in the harness...or possibly the connector...
Old September 10th, 2013, 9:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation P0480 Error code

I agree with in2pro but will add this.
P0480 code is Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit.
Means you could have a bad fan sensor that's on all the time. AND Check for a stuck relay under the hood. (Tap gently the relays ) If the fan goes off then you found the culprit. Replace the relays.

Let us know what you find.
John