Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

front brake issues

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2018, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brake issues

07 cobalt , no brake fluid flow with hoses removed. gravity should empty the system. no a.b.s.
Old November 24th, 2018, 1:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Samurai
07 cobalt , no brake fluid flow with hoses removed. gravity should empty the system. no a.b.s.
Ya gotta get ALL the air out.
Old December 8th, 2018, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

perhaps i was unclear. the system was NEVER empty. the front calipers bound up like collapsed hoses will cause. when i opened the bleeders there was a spurt of fluid , but nothing further. When i removed the hose to replace it , the fluid Should have begun to flow. Nothing happened. Now , any ideas why there is NO fluid draining from the steel line ?
Old December 9th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the spurt is from the system not releasing pressure...ie. from a seized caliper, bad mc or flex hose restriction. a restriction will not allow fluid to drain.
When I open a brake system for repair work...I hold the brake pedal closed with a pedal depressor. This closes off the ports in the mc and no fluid will drain. You have to diagnose where the restriction is from. does it flow fluid when you manually bleed the system?

if the pistons push back with the bleeders open they are ok.
if more than one wheel is dragging...it may be a bad mc. if you had a hard pedal with no free play, I suspect its a bad mc.

Last edited by tech2; December 9th, 2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old December 10th, 2018, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

the end result was in the master cyl. there was a contaminant that resembled pudding , that partially mixed with the brake fluid . after evacuating the reservoir and flushing the system with denatured alcohol , everything has returned to normal function . thanks for the inputs , this one made me nuts for a while.