Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Headlight/turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight/turn signal problems

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help if there's any to spare.

About a month or two ago my driver side rear turn signal stopped working. All the other lights work, parking, brake, etc, just the turn signal was out. THe front signal was working. I checked the rear bulb to replace it and the bulb was not blown. I replaced the bulb anyhow and the signal is still not working.

Now, starting about last week. On top of the turn signal still not working the headlight on the driver side on low beam has stopped working. Of course I didn't find that out until I was pulled over at 5 in the morning. Yay...

All the parking lights in the front are working along with the passenger side low beams. And the high beams on both sides are working fine.

I have checked every fuse in both the engine and inside compartments and didn't find any bad ones.

Anyone got any other ideas or might this be an issue for a mechanic?

edit: Forgot to mention its an '05 Cobalt LS

Last edited by coatlegs; November 14th, 2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: add info
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The same filament in the rear bulb does the turn signal as well as stop lamp. What does the left rear do,

1. with the turn signal multifunction switch in the left turn signal position
2. with the brake pedal depressed in addition
3. with turn signal off and brake pedal depressed
4. repeat above with the parking lamps on

Mind, it makes a difference when the bulb is off, on, or half-bright.

As for the left low beam headlamp, check the 10A LH LOW BEAM fuse in the underhood fuse block. If not that, try swapping the headlamp bulbs left to right.
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I am sorry to hear of your frustrations regarding your vehicle's lighting. There could be several reasons why this is occurring. Keep me up to date of the outcome. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a message.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Last edited by MDTAHOE; November 15th, 2011 at 8:23 PM.