Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Oil leaks 06 cobalt

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2009, 1:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil leaks 06 cobalt

I usually park my cobalt in my garage overnight and the next day there is always a new puddle of what i can only guess is oil. It does this every day but the oil level does not go down. What other fluid can this be? If it is oil how can it be fixed?
Old June 16th, 2009, 5:02 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If its black its probably oil....you need to find out where its leaking before you can fix it
Old June 16th, 2009, 5:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Bend over !
Dip your finger in the liquid!
smell it! (if by smelling you have determined that it is gasoline, then please...skip the next step )
taste it!

If that doesnt do the trick, pour a little bit of water over it. Then let a small drop of detergent fall in the middle of the "dirty puddle". If the dirt seems to run away from the detergent...its oil. If not, then its just water and mud.

So, if this would be a bet, then I would put 10 dollars on the Airco. If you drive your car around, using the airco, then the liquid in the holder gets really cold. Water (which is in the air in vapourized shape) hits the holder and becomes frozen water (also known as ICE). During that process you still drive your car around. That way small particles of ash, sand and dust (generally known as "Dirt") enter the frozen outside of your car.

When then you shut down your car, you also shut off the airco. That makes the ice/dirt mixture to melt , leaving a nice little puddle of dirt under your car.

Completely harmless, unless you have a wife that kills people for leaving small puddles of dirt on the drive way. And we all know they exist !

So basically...park your car, get down on the floor and crawl under it. You might find a frozen piece of metal under your car. If this isnt the case, and you dont have airco... well, then give me back my 10 dollars !!!!
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thank you for your help. It is definitely oil. When i rolled under my car i found everything to be an oily mess so i have to get everything cleaned out and then find the source of the leak.