Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

taking off Colbalt governor??

Old July 21st, 2006, 5:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking off Colbalt governor??

I have a 2006 Colbalt and the governor cuts the car off at 105 mph, hoe do I take it off?

P.S.
Plan on making it a track car in the future.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 7:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: taking off Colbalt governor??

Is it an automatic or a manual?

On the s-series trucks for manual transmissions their is a little trick of running a switch in with the VSS on the tailend of the transmission and when it's off it kills the govenor. But it also kills the odometer and speedometer at the same time. It won't work on automatics though.

But for the cobalt I'm not sure if that will work. I would look at maybe some sort of tuner like a hypertech and see they make one for your car. Since you said you were wanting to go to the track I also imagine you want to make some power so it would be best to just go ahead and get a custom tune which will net you more power than if their was hypertech setup available and it would also eliminate your govener.
Old October 11th, 2006, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It cuts out at 108mph actually. The VSS mod will work with both 5spd and autos, but it will void warranty, and since it kills the odo and speedo its very illegal. The only real way to raise the governer is to get HP Tuners and do it through the computer
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it will work with the automatics because most of the time the PCM looks at the VSS for inputs at shift points and without a signal it won't make it out of 1st gear.