Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Trouble After Installing 2007 Ecotec 2.2 Back Into Cobalt - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2017, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble After Installing 2007 Ecotec 2.2 Back Into Cobalt - HELP!!

My 2007 Chevy Cobalt was running good, then one afternoon on the freeway in low speed traffic the engine stalled. It started again, but ran very poorly, but I was able to get it off the freeway. Tiny bit of steam coming from under hood, but not much. Pushed button on steering wheel to see engine temp and it showed over 290 degrees. Obviously, the fan did not come on, so possibly the sensor was not working. Long story, longer.

After the event on the freeway… I took out my 2.2 Ecotec L61 because three of the pistons had holes in them. The valves had pieces of pistons in them and weren’t seating properly. I replaced the timing chain because this was a good time to do it since the engine was open. I also replaced the water pump, balancer chain and sprockets and timing chain kit. Visually everything else looked okay. Don’t have much experience with this type of engine, but did not have any problems getting it out or putting it back in.
After putting engine back in, P0340 DTC code kept showing up on scan tool. I repaired some broken wiring and now the P0340 code is gone.

Now the connector for the wiring to the Cam Position Sensor has 5.4 VDC (voltage direct current) at terminal A. terminal B is a good ground, and terminal C has 5.4 VDC. Car engine turns over, but will not start. The compression is 160 psi on all 4 cylinders. The valves, pistons, gears and timing chain are all new and set correctly. The engine started twice for a few minutes. Both of those times it did not start easy. All 4 spark plugs have a strong purple spark when I checked them. Before this engine problem, when I would start the car, and turn the key to ON position: Tachometer will jump a tiny bit, the speedometer would as well, the fuel would
go to whatever level it was at and stay there. Now, occasionally when I try to start it, I put the key to the ON position, the gauges do what they used to, but as soon as i try to start it, the speedometer and tachometer don't do the little jump that they used to. The fuel will go to a level and stay and sometimes it will go to a level and drop immediately. I even tried using a remote starter hooked up directly to the starter. Still the car won't start. I am at a loss as where to go from here.

Does the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) show symptoms or give some type of warning before it goes out; e.g., hard starting or pinging? Could it be the security system? Ignition key? Ignition switch?

Any suggestions or assistance is greatly appreciated.