Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Colorado, which engine???

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2020 | 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Colorado, which engine???

Hey everyone. I did a search for this in the forum already to no avail. I am new here though so it's possible i overlooked something, so kindly redirect me if that's the case.

So you understand where I'm coming from, I've spent the last decade driving a v6 Honda Accord. It's been a wonderful car but in that time I've also purchased a house with the wife and the need for a truck has come up often enough that, since i'm ready to upgrade my vehicle, I'm looking at compact and mid size trucks instead of cars. Probably going to buy in the next month or 2.

My search has the Colorado/Canyon at the top of my list. Reviewers seem to love the v6 and i've seen a lot of good about the duramx option as well. I would like this truck to last 10+ years (longer if possible) and was wondering, which of the 3 engine options for the Colorado/Canyon is the best from a reliability perspective. I'm not going to be towing or doing a lot of high weight hauling but i still love the idea of the duramx as it gets really good fuel economy on the highway, but if the v6 will require less work on it over a 10 year span, I'll go that way. Economy isn't all of it but is a nice fringe benefit if the duramx is better. I would also like to know what people think of the 2.5l 4cyl although I'm not overly impressed with it from a power perspective. If you all come back and say that's the best though, i will go test drive it.

I chose a Honda for their high success rate of making reliable cars. Which option will give me as close to that as i can get here?
Old July 30th, 2020 | 4:45 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Christopher Torres
Hey everyone. I did a search for this in the forum already to no avail. I am new here though so it's possible i overlooked something, so kindly redirect me if that's the case.

So you understand where I'm coming from, I've spent the last decade driving a v6 Honda Accord. It's been a wonderful car but in that time I've also purchased a house with the wife and the need for a truck has come up often enough that, since i'm ready to upgrade my vehicle, I'm looking at compact and mid size trucks instead of cars. Probably going to buy in the next month or 2.

My search has the Colorado/Canyon at the top of my list. Reviewers seem to love the v6 and i've seen a lot of good about the duramx option as well. I would like this truck to last 10+ years (longer if possible) and was wondering, which of the 3 engine options for the Colorado/Canyon is the best from a reliability perspective. I'm not going to be towing or doing a lot of high weight hauling but i still love the idea of the duramx as it gets really good fuel economy on the highway, but if the v6 will require less work on it over a 10 year span, I'll go that way. Economy isn't all of it but is a nice fringe benefit if the duramx is better. I would also like to know what people think of the 2.5l 4cyl although I'm not overly impressed with it from a power perspective. If you all come back and say that's the best though, i will go test drive it.

I chose a Honda for their high success rate of making reliable cars. Which option will give me as close to that as i can get here?
Although I have a 2015 Malibu, not a Colorado, The 2.5 liter is an impressive motor. No turbo to go bad, and 197 HP to boot! She'll do over 40+ MPG at 65-70 MPH. at 55 MPH it will push 50-52 MPG. It really depends on HP, as the 2.5 L MIGHT be a bit weak in a Colorado, but I don't know that for certain.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher Torres (July 30th, 2020)
Old July 31st, 2020 | 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Although I have a 2015 Malibu, not a Colorado, The 2.5 liter is an impressive motor. No turbo to go bad, and 197 HP to boot! She'll do over 40+ MPG at 65-70 MPH. at 55 MPH it will push 50-52 MPG. It really depends on HP, as the 2.5 L MIGHT be a bit weak in a Colorado, but I don't know that for certain.
Since you said this i did do a little more research on this engine. While the power numbers aren't impressive for a truck, it does seem to get 26mpg on the highway where the v6 gets lower (22-24 highway). In the past, some truck companies also wouldn't offer the little 4 banger with 4wd and quad cabs but it seems this engine is powerful enough to include those things as options. I'll have to drive one and see.

Hopefully someone else jumps in here though and can tell me if the 2.5l engine in the Colorado is worth my time or not. I'm leaning toward the v6 as I've seen some other forums where people are having a lot of trouble with the baby duramax but the fuel economy is a little concerning coming from honda world so i do need to weigh all my options. lol
Old October 4th, 2020 | 12:32 AM
CF Beginner

hey i just bought the baby max and get amazing mileage. Haven't towed too much yet but I will soon. If your worried about longevity if the engine, it has been around for quite a few years overseas im pretty sure. I thought that the engine would be dropped once the half ton diesels came out but so far gm says they will continue to offer the 2.8 diesel in the colorado/canyon. I haven't heard of alot of issues with them but that doesn't mean there isn't any. Iv got 2500 km on mine now and had to replace a sensor forbade emissions system but that's it so far. Warranty of course. I was hoping the exhaust brake would be a little more aggressive but it is a pretty small engine and turbo to ask that of.
Old October 27th, 2020 | 8:40 PM
CF Active Member

2.5 L 4-cylinder