Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

I hate TPMS

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2016, 3:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I hate TPMS

As the weather is getting colder the TPMS comes on for no reason, I reset the things and next morning the light starts flashing, but if I drive for 15 minutes it stops and if I shut the truck off and restart everything is fine. It is exactly what you would expect if it had a battery that is gettinglow. The truck is a 2010 and the tires were replaced last fall. It wasn't a problem last winter at -30 now it fails at 0.
I thought I read that the sensors would last 10 years, the only purpose of this system is to generate income for the tire industry. The sensors are expensive and then you have to pay a tire shop to do the service because unlike the old days, changing a tire now requires more than a couple of tire lEvers and some soapy water. I see some people even suggest that it is illegal to remove them or drive while the warning light is on.
Old February 16th, 2017, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

over the last few months I have had new sensors put in and then I also had the tires changed to winter tires. Two different tire shops checked the sensors and both found that 2 of the sensors were reading 10 psi lower than the actual tire pressure. All winter the lights came on and stayed on, then this week the temperature outside rose to above +5C and guess what the lights have all gone out and everything (well the airbag light is on ) is working
Old February 16th, 2017, 4:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, don't even think about those sensors.
they are SOOOO buggy & basically useless!!
my dad makes me check my tire pressure myself
Old February 16th, 2017, 8:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by srp204
As the weather is getting colder the TPMS comes on for no reason, I reset the things and next morning the light starts flashing, but if I drive for 15 minutes it stops and if I shut the truck off and restart everything is fine. It is exactly what you would expect if it had a battery that is gettinglow. The truck is a 2010 and the tires were replaced last fall. It wasn't a problem last winter at -30 now it fails at 0.
I thought I read that the sensors would last 10 years, the only purpose of this system is to generate income for the tire industry. The sensors are expensive and then you have to pay a tire shop to do the service because unlike the old days, changing a tire now requires more than a couple of tire lEvers and some soapy water. I see some people even suggest that it is illegal to remove them or drive while the warning light is on.
make sure the pressures are set 2psi over the placard. if set at the placard number, on cold days what you have described will happen.

the purpose of the system is emissions. Under-inflated tires can increase fuel mileage as much as 4%.
Old February 17th, 2017, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default not 2 psi

When the temperature drops into the -15 or colder range two of the sensors read 10 psi lower than the actual tire pressure. Two different tire shops confirmed this with their remote handheld readers . A 2 psi decrease due to the cold might be explainable but 10 psi is not.
Old February 17th, 2017, 7:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

my response was addressed to the op; see quote

Last edited by tech2; February 17th, 2017 at 7:54 AM.
Old March 10th, 2017, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default airbag seat belt light

You know the problem the extended cab has with that wiring that goes to the rear door and the wires break. Well when that seat belt light on the dash stays on it means that the locking of the seat belt will not happen in a crash. A few weeks ago I had a front collision, at a slow speed, I was at least an arms length from the steering wheel, but the airbag cracked my sternum. I like the old Italian seating position with your arms straight out , so I was well over a foot away from the airbag, but the seat belt did not automatically tighten up and I must have been moving forward as the airbag deployed.
So if you have that little red seatbelt/airbag light on, don't ignore it . It is probably that bundle of wires going into the rear door and one is broken. Take it from me a cracked sternum hurts and a sneeze is serious pain.