Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

New guy question / which year is best used Colorado?

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2018, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New guy question / which year is best used Colorado?

Im about to switch from my 2012 CTS Sport Wagon back to a truck. The Caddy wagon is a looker but totally impractical. Took a year to realize how much more useful the 4 door truck is over the Cadillac.

I am looking at the V6 Colorado...2015 to 2017. Anything to avoid or to insist upon? Is one year superior to another? I am looking at 2 WD but could occasionally use the 4WD in winter. Hoping to average about 20 MPG all around. 25 or 26 would be nice on the road. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by fotyfobravo; July 6th, 2018 at 8:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 17th, 2018, 9:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo
Im about to switch from my 2012 CTS Sport Wagon back to a truck. The Caddy wagon is a looker but totally impractical. Took a year to realize how much more useful the 4 door truck is over the Cadillac.

I am looking at the V6 Colorado...2015 to 2017. Anything to avoid or to insist upon? Is one year superior to another? I am looking at 2 WD but could occasionally use the 4WD in winter. Hoping to average about 20 MPG all around. 25 or 26 would be nice on the road. Thanks for any suggestions.
The best years for the Colorado was 2013 and 2014, and that's because Chevy didn't produce the Colorado in 2013 and 2014, but reintroduced it in 2015 along with a new problem-plagued, computer controlled trans. The 2015 and 2016 are to be avoided, but it seems the problem with the trans lessened in the 2017 and 2018 model years. I have made it a habit to avoid a new model year on any vehicle and wait til the bugs are worked out of it over the next couple years. When the Colorado first appeared in 2004, that and the following year were swamped with complaints. By 2006 the complaints decreased and the truck became pretty reliable through 2012.
Old July 21st, 2018, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by subfan597
The best years for the Colorado was 2013 and 2014, and that's because Chevy didn't produce the Colorado in 2013 and 2014, but reintroduced it in 2015 along with a new problem-plagued, computer controlled trans. The 2015 and 2016 are to be avoided, but it seems the problem with the trans lessened in the 2017 and 2018 model years. I have made it a habit to avoid a new model year on any vehicle and wait til the bugs are worked out of it over the next couple years. When the Colorado first appeared in 2004, that and the following year were swamped with complaints. By 2006 the complaints decreased and the truck became pretty reliable through 2012.
Thanks Subfan! That good info that I did not know.
Old November 20th, 2018, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

I agree with subfan with his hesitation to new model years. I can add my personal experience from just recently getting a newer Colorado in the hopes it helps you. A month ago I just got a 2018 Colorado Z71 2WD with the smaller I4 motor. I initially wanted a V6 because it seemed odd to me to have a I4 in a truck for light towing (dirt bikes or four wheelers on an aluminum trailer) on random occasions. I drove a V6 LT and then the I4 Z71 I ended up getting. Both were 2WD models from 2018 with 15-20k miles pre-owned. I specifically preferred a Z71 simply for what in my mind is a factory lift with a warranty. Z71 just has the right stance in my opinion. The LT and the Z71 I looked at were priced within 1k of each other, Z71 being cheaper for having the I4. The ride quality I found to be better in the Z71, which surprised me as I thought it would be the opposite of that finding. Mileage wise, Iv been getting about 18-20 in town, and anywhere from 23-29 on highway (speed and head wind dependant). I get closer to the 23 if I'm doing 75mph on highway. Not disappointed I guess is my point with that. Personally the I4 is fine with me due to my very light towing, to beef up the factory bumper hitch though I removed that receiver and installed a class III with a standard 2" receiver point. The hitch is now rated well over the 3500 lb factory bumper hitch rating. I am still limited to the I4 obviously but I have now towed dang close to the 3500 rating on the I4 and it did perfectly fine with it. Not a race truck by any means but if common sense is applied while towing its a surprisingly capable motor. If you tow regularly, Id definitely recommend the V6 like you claimed you want. If your a light or seldom tower like me Id recommend at least driving an I4. I will note as well my Z71 (as well as all other Z71s) come with factory 4:10 gears, Id imagine this plays a role in its towing ability over the other trims with other gears. Its peppy enough for me to be happy as a daily, just won't win a drag race if that's your goal. Get another toy for that. Snow or inclement weather for 4WD I can't really say much about, my area gets snow (southern Illinois) but it doesn't stay on the roads long as our snow removal in my area are spot on. I will say though we had 5 inches a few days ago and I was playing with the truck on the family farm in the field for a brief moment with not optimal traction and it never got stuck, the Z71 locker kicked in a couple times and powered me through wherever I went in the field. Hope this helps, but Iv been really happy with an I4 2WD.
Old November 25th, 2018, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Surgedoc ...... That is good info on the I4 motor. I think the mileage may be worth it but I had gone ahead and bought a really nice 4 WD GMC SLT Canyon a month ago. Sounds like yours is perfect for your needs. If I had seen your write up before I bought I would have been totally open to the 4 banger. I got a 16 model with the V6 and am really pleased with it. Averaging a combined 21 mpg and will do 25 MPG on a road trip. Thanks for your reply above!....FL