Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Ordered a New Chevy Colorado

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2021 | 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ordered a New Chevy Colorado

While I do own a GMC Top Kick with Caterpillar motor, Allison Automatic with utility bed and 55 foot High Ranger bucket my last seven pickup trucks have been Mopars, Still own four and Dakotas are my favorite size truck to work out of but my Hemi is a hoot to drive. Recently sold my Mopar A body hot-rod as just didn't drive it, prefer to ride my Harley Davidson's for pleasure. Most people think its odd with a fleet of trucks to choose from, my daily driver is still my 1993 4WD Dakota but it is the perfect size work truck for my job. Can get all my tools and materials in it and get into any job site no matter how tight the squeeze but with 355,000 miles of hard service its getting long in the tooth. Second favorite work truck my 1997 4WD Ram Club Cab has 425,000 miles and is also showing its age. The 1991 Dakota had the odometer break just past 400,000 miles, replaced it and that one broke about 125,000 miles later so we no longer track miles in it. Keep them serviced and buy grease in five gallon buckets.

Have looked at every truck on the market, full size trucks keep getting bigger and compact trucks bed capacity keep getting smaller leaving the Colorado the only truck properly sized for our type work on the market. I am going to wring this one out and if it survives a few years with me will add more to the fleet. Dealer notified me today Chevrolet accepted the special order will begin building it soon. He said if want to make any changes in factory build he has to know by Monday. Every Colorado I found on dealer lots was either a four door short box with big motor or long box with little motor and optioned totally wrong for working. So here is what I ordered as it suits my fleet, needs and desires.It will be primarily a work truck and will probably remove the back seats and build a custom box to hold sub-woofers for stereo, hide the bodies for amps and ham radios along with keeping a rifle out of view. What have I missed option wise for working, can't get the 4:10 gearing in this group of option packages? Added a few convenience items but not

Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab Long Box 4WD WT: 4 Wheel Drive, 3.6L DI DOHC V6 VVT, 8-speed automatic transmission,Cherry Red Tintcoat, Jet Black/*Dark Ash, Vinyl seat trim, POWER PACKAGE (Performance Air Intake System, Cat-Back Performance Exhaust System), Custom Special Edition (18" Dark Argent metallic cast aluminum wheels, Body-color grille, Body-color door handles, Body-color power outside mirrors, Body-color rear bumper), Work Truck Convenience Package (Remote keyless entry, Theft-deterrent system, Cruise control, EZ-Lift and Lower tailgate, Remote locking tailgate), Performance Skid Plate Package (Performance Front Skid Plate, Performance Mid Skid Plate), 3.42 rear axle ratio, Automatic locking rear differential, Hitch Guidance, Trailering Package, Tow/Haul Mode, Spotter mirror, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 System with color touchscreen, Front bucket seats, Rear Park Assist,Dual USB Ports, Cargo Tie-Down Rings, Tool Box Cross Bed Aluminum, Premium Thinkware F800 Dashcam, Bed Utility Safety Rack, etc as sure I missed a couple. if anyone notices something missed let me know.

Odd accessories to protect passengers and interior:
There are some dealer installed options as well as prefer other brand or same items for less money than Chevrolet charges. Included in this are WeatherTech Floor Liners front & rear, headlight protectors and side window deflectors. Before i take delivery it will go to the tint shop for 20% limo darkness tint (have Georgia permit for dark window tint, requires permit signed by a doctor saying you are sensitive to light) the outside will be laminated with a clear product from Citizen Armor Vehicle Security Film (Smash and Grab™ Security Film reinforces existing vehicle windows to be able to resist the impact of outside projectiles, for less than the cost of replacing a single window. When applied to glass, it offers additional protection from auto theft and physical assault and ensures that the glass stays intact if hit with a bullet or hard object. Smash and Grab™ Security Film is pre-cut with excess to accommodate installation on any vehicle make and model) on inside of glass will be the tinted layer is 3M Scotchshield Automotive Security Window Film and have tested these myself and when used combined on tempered glass will stop one to three rounds of 9mm based on spacing and almost any blunt force attack. Seats will get Skanda Ballistic Tactical Seat Covers,between outer door skins and interior door trim dealer has already sourced ballistic door panels as go in almost ever police vehicle these days.Are totally hidden but stop all but "special threat" handgun rounds.

Finishing off the protection package will be spray on bed liner called Paxcon made by same company that owns Line-X but Paxcon is a very tough military grade polymer. (PAXCON® was created and developed by LINE-X® LLC as a high-performance, blast-resistant coating suitable for a wide variety of applications. LINE-X is constantly looking for new and innovative uses for its polyurethane/polyurea based products. It is this pioneering spirit that led LINE-X to explore new blast and spall mitigation technologies, against the backdrop of increasing homeland security concerns and anti-terrorist tactical development. PAXCON protective coatings have been recognized by the U.S. military and the defense industry for their high levels of protection)

We have had multiple incidents on our routes with close calls and very close calls. I had an elderly lady with Alzheimers chase me around my truck with a shotgun because she thought I was stealing her tulips and her caregiver had left her alone with access to a loaded side by side coach gun. had a similar incident with elederly man diagnosed with dimensia who chased me around a job site in corner of his yard with a S&W M60 38 special. Had a friend who was going to help me on a job (we help each other sometimes if need an extra man on a job and trade time) as he had a job needing some help in same direction so we were going up a divided four lane a few years ago and were about a quarter mile apart with him ahead of me. Happened that some lunatic from Atlanta had decided to start sniping at passing cars and bullet from a rifle came through his door, struck him in the hip but hit dead center in his titanium hip joint and other than minor bleeding and having to get bullet fragments removed he was o.k.Most of our trucks have some sort of ballistic protection and all of my employees have access to bullet resistant vests if want to wear them.

An issue with my 1993 Dakota is the weight of the ballistic panels in doors have caused jambs to crack at lower hinge and replaced passenger door once and time to replace the drivers door a second time. 1991 through 1997 Dakotas are known for door sag and jambs cracking with age even without weight of ballistic panels so we are used to it and keep a spare pair of Dakota doors in red and swap as needed on the Daks. Will see in a decade or so how strong the Colorado doors are made. If going to reconfigure or add any factory installed items have to figure it out over the weekend.