Corvette Since 1953, the All American Sports car, and with the new 2014 C7 model, no end is in sight.

2014 Corvette C7
Platform: Y-body
Latest Corvette C7 News here: CorvetteForum.com

1995 C4 VAT Key Stuck in Ignition. Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2019, 1:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 C4 VAT Key Stuck in Ignition. Help Please!

I have an old battery and recently figured out that it ran down so far after sitting for over 6 months that it cannot be charged...it is officially "dead" as it will take little to no charge. I got in the car and put the VAT key in the ignition and turned it out of the "LOCK" position so that I could unlock the wheel and push the car back into a position in my driveway convenient for me to remove the old battery. When I finished moving the car but before I removed the old battery, I tried to turn the key back into the "LOCK" position so I could remove the VAT key from the ignition. To my surprise, the key will NOT turn back into the "LOCK" position. The key is stuck in the ignition. I tried everything I can think of to get the key out. I have wiggled the steering wheel, I have jiggled the key, I have jiggled the shifter while it is in "PARK" as well as shifting it through all the different gear positions. Nothing is working. This all happened BEFORE I removed the old battery. I have since removed the old battery and I still cannot get the key into the "LOCK" position. I will install a new battery tomorrow.

Please note that this is a 1995 Corvette with an automatic transmission.

It should be noted that the key will turn freely into all of the positions EXCEPT the "LOCK" position. Of course it is this position that I need in order to remove the key. Also I have noted that although the gear shifter moves freely into all positions including "PARK", the button on the top of the shifter stays depressed and does not snap up into place when the shifter changes from position to position.

I know that the VAT system requires electricity and that the old battery had virtually no juice in it. Could it be that when I install the new battery, the whole problem will be resolved or am I just dreaming that it could be that easy?

Thanks for any information you may provide.

Old April 3rd, 2019, 8:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by BRVetteClassic
Could it be that when I install the new battery, the whole problem will be resolved or am I just dreaming that it could be that easy?

Thanks for any information you may provide.
you are not dreaming. replace the battery.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 4:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You may have to do a re-learn. New battery, key switch in on, no crank. Let it set about 20 minutes, and without turning the ignition switch off, start the car.
Old April 4th, 2019, 2:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, new battery in. Car started and ran perfectly fine. However, the car would STILL not release the key when I shifted into "park". I could not get the button atop the shifter to pop out when it was in the "park" position and thus, the ignition would not release the key. I tried numerous things, none of which worked...wiggling the key...pushing in and out on the key....turning the steering wheel back and forth while trying to remove the key...shifting through all the gears from "Park" to "2" several times. The button atop the gear shift would pop up in every gear except "park". Spoke to a friend who knew someone very familiar with GM cars. He said to to work the shifter in and out of "Park" pretty hard...said don't be afraid to use some force. Went back out there and started to repetitively shift in and out of "park" over and over with the car off. IT FINALLY WORKED...the button popped up and the key released. Park has engaged and the key has released several times since then without any problem. The mechanic said something about a rod engaging with something that in turn engages with the transmission and that it somehow probably got out of proper adjustment. I have no idea if I will continue to have a problem or if somehow it is back adjusted where it is supposed to be and will cause no more problem. If it does it again, I will bring it to a mechanic but at least I know the car runs and I can drive it rather than tow it to a mechanic. Anyway, I don't think it had anything to do with the "VAT" key.