Corvette Since 1953, the All American Sports car, and with the new 2014 C7 model, no end is in sight.

2014 Corvette C7
Platform: Y-body
Latest Corvette C7 News here: CorvetteForum.com

Carb getting fuel but not starting

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2011, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb getting fuel but not starting

I have a '76 corvette engine in my FJ40 landcruiser. I just replaced all the gaskets on my top end and put everything back together. It's wired kind of funny in that the ignition switch fires up the fuel pump and then it's push button start.

When I went to start it to do the timing I let the fuel pump run for a minute and watched it refill the fuel filter and then pumped the gas pedal a bit to get gas in the carb. When I tried to start it I wasn't getting anything. The carb isn't spraying any fuel. I took the fuel hose off and let it pump into a gas can and it is getting proper pressure.

I poured fuel into the carb just to make sure it couldn't have been another issue and it fired right up but died as soon as I stopped pouring. Because of lack of time to work on the car the carb was off the car for a few months. Did it just get gumbed up from sitting too long and just needs to be cleaned out or could there be another cause of this to happen?

I'm a college student with very little time on my hands to work on things so if there is a quick fix that someone might know of to help me out I would appreciate it. Otherwise it looks like I might have to tear the carb down. Any help is appreciated thanks!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 4:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What did you do to the carb? I'd suggest take the fuel line off the carb (you can also take the top off see if the float bowl is empty) and try blowing through it. I'd bet the float is hung closed, and won't let gas into the bowl. Also I assume you have an inline fuel filter, is there another in the carb? That is a quad (I assume) those came with a small filter in the carb were the fuel ine hooks to the carb. You don't need it with an inline filter.
Old October 24th, 2011, 9:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gas turns to a gummy, sticky, almost varnish like when ya let it sit awhile. i'd have the carb taken apart, cleaned real well, put back together with new gaskets and such.
Old November 14th, 2011, 9:28 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Could be the fuel filter also.
Old December 10th, 2011, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

check the incoming fuel line to make sure its not stopped up[filter] the needle may be stuck or u may have a gasket thats blocking the port pull the top off pick the float up then crank it see if it fulls if the filter is good blow though the line see if u can over the yrs i got the wrong kits or they give me the wrong 1
Old December 10th, 2011, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by maxxman04
gas turns to a gummy, sticky, almost varnish like when ya let it sit awhile. i'd have the carb taken apart, cleaned real well, put back together with new gaskets and such.

u forgot vise grips, zip ties, crazy glue lol