Corvette Since 1953, the All American Sports car, and with the new 2014 C7 model, no end is in sight.

2014 Corvette C7
Platform: Y-body
Latest Corvette C7 News here: CorvetteForum.com

Getting "Blown Off" by GM

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2007, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting "Blown Off" by GM

Please read my diary about the past 4 months with GM and let me know if any of you have any suggestions?
I have a bad drivers mirror shake on my 2004 Corvette. It has been to two dealers and has 2 repairs completed and also confirmed by the last dealer that it is not normal and that they did not know what to do with it. NOW the "GM call taker" tells me they have considered it a "normal condition". Please read below in detail and let me know how you would proceed.
--
Corvette Mirror Ordeal:

09/18/06: I took my car in to Bob Steele Chevrolet for mirror shake. The Technician confirmed the problem and ordered new mirror.

09/28/06: I took my car back to Bob Steele Chevrolet to have mirror replaced. The replacement mirror is worse then the original mirror. Called the dealer and spoke with Bill and Randy the service manager. They requested I bring the car back the next time I was in town so they could check it again.

10/12/06: I took my car into Bob Steele Chevrolet for an oil change, rotate & balance of the wheels (maintaince work) and to recheck the mirror shake again. I road tested the car with Randy the service manager and he confirmed that the mirror was still shaking. During the rotate & balance they found the left rear wheel out of round and felt that was causing the shake. The dealer ordered a new left rear wheel.

10/24/06: I took my car into Bob Steele Chevrolet and they found out the wrong wheel had come in. Wheels were swapped at the selling dealer off another car when I bought it because it came in with the wrong wheels. Bob Steele Chevrolet stated they could not warranty the wheel and I would have to call Jennings Chevrolet back in Glenview IL where I had bought the car.

11/04/06: I wrote a letter to Jennings Chevrolet and sent it over night about the wheel and problem with warranting it.

11/06/06: Ken called from Jennings Chevrolet and we discussed the problem and he will call Bob Steele Chevrolet to discuss and get the wheel ordered.

11/14/06: I called Ken at Jennings Chevrolet and he did not get any calls back from Bob Steele Chevrolet. I called Bob Steele Chevrolet and spoke to Randy the service manager and they can not warranty the wheel and have spoken to their GM rep.

11/14/06: Ken called me from Jennings Chevrolet and I told him that Bob Steele Chevrolet stated they could not warranty per their GM rep. Ken will look into this and call me back.

11/16/06: Ken from Jennings Chevrolet called me and they will order the wheel under warranty and ship it to Bob Steele Chevrolet.

11/26/06: I called Bob Steele Chevrolet to see if they had gotten the wheel yet. No. I called Jennings Chevrolet and left a message for Ken to call me with the status on the ordered wheel.

11/27/06: Ken from Jennings Chevrolet called and they have the wheel and will ship it to Bob Steele Chevrolet. It should take 4-5 days to get it there.

11/30/06: Bill from Bob Steel Chevrolet called me and they have the wheel. We set an appointment to have it installed 12/5/06.

12/05/06: I took my car in and had the wheel installed. Bob Steele Chevrolet will not bill Jennings Chevrolet and I will have to pay the bill and submit it to Jennings Chevrolet for payment.

12/05/06: The car still has the problem. The mirror is no better after the wheel was replaced. I called Randy at Bob Steele Chevrolet and he stated that he did not know what to do from there. I told him I would contact GM and see what we do from here.

12/06/06: I mailed the bill to Jennings Chevrolet overnight via DHL to my $39.95 charge for mounting the wheel back.

12/06/06 I called the GM customer service 800-222-1020 and spoke to Francis. The mileage at that time was 24187. I made report # 71-449301476. Francis gave me the contact person’s name, Jerry Hall. Jerry Hall's number is 866-790-5600 ext 12089. I spoke with Jerry right away and explained the problem to date. Jerry suggested we have another dealer look at the problem. We set an appointment with Fisher Chevrolet on 12/08/06.

12/08/06: I took the car to Fisher Chevrolet in Titusville. I road tested the car with the shop manager “Doc”. He was able to see the problem right away, but did not have any idea how to repair. Doc looked for any service bulletins and did not find anything. Doc stated he did not have a fix for the problem at this time.

12/11/06: Monday Jerry Hall from GM called me and I told him about the visit to Fisher Chevrolet and that we still have the problem. Jerry stated he would advance the problem and have a “field rep” call me back.

12/13/06: I received a voice mail from the “field rep” with name and number. Could not understand the name on the message, but the number is 866-790-5600 ext 11164. I tried calling the number and get a voice mail that he is busy and to leave a message. The system states that the voice mail is full and to try again later. I tried several times later that day and it remained full.

12/14/06: Called 11:40 am to the “Field Rep’s” voice mail, still full. Jerry Hall called back and I advised him about the “Field rep’s” voice mail being full. Jerry stated he would contact the Rep and have them call me. No call from the Rep.

12/20/06: Jerry Hall called me to tell me that the “Field Rep” had contacted the dealers and GM feels this is a “normal condition”. I told Jerry it is not a normal condition. If it was the dealers would not have tried to fix it 3 times. Randy at Bob Steele Chevrolet and Doc and Fisher Chevrolet have both road tested and seen the problem and confirmed that it is not a normal condition. I also told Jerry that I have owned over 15 vehicles most GM products ranging from a 69 chevelle to a new Oldsmobile and none of them had a mirror shake like this 2004 $60,000.00 corvette. Jerry stated that he would advance the claim once again and have “Someone” call me back. We scheduled a follow up call for 12/26/06.

12/26/06: Jerry Hall called me to follow up on the status of the field rep to road test the car to see the problem. The field rep’s are all off until after the first of the year. Jerry set an appointment to call me back on 1-4-2007 to follow up after he can reach a field rep.

01/04/06: Received call from Dawn Hodder ext 21917, Jerry Hall’s replacement. Dawn gave me the same quote that this was a normal condition per Chevrolet. I explained the history and that this was not a “normal” condition. Dawn explained that her district service manager made that decision. I explained to Dawn that Jerry Hall told me he was moving this claim up and would have a rep call me after the first of the year to set up a time to road test the car and see the
Old January 6th, 2007, 3:10 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Getting "Blown Off" by GM

Have you tried the Corvette Action Center? 800.457.8388
Owner Center Customer Assistance? 866.694.6546
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mirrors on the 07 Tahoe have had a shaking problem. The fix was to remove the glass portion and flex the metal tab (short metal tab coming off of interior mirror assembly)that is supposed to contact the interior of the mirror housing. This tab stabilizes the mirror glass but allows it to move during power mirror adjustment.

Did any of your dealers attempt to fix the problem?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 8:28 PM
DV8
CF Beginner

Try writing a letter to your local Attorney Generals Office. Once the dealership(s) hear from the AG's officethey will suddenly become "motivated" and find a solution.
The dealerships and GM will simply run you around in circles until you get frustrated, tiredand "go away". Put some teeth in your complaint, get the AG on the case. You can find them on the internet and make the complaint from your desk and it won't cost you a thing....
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
CF Junior Member

With that "fine" customer service, it's a wonder anyone would consider buying anything other than American!
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this was 3 years ago? was the copy paste too short for the post? and we missed more of it.

I doubt I will get a responce, but worth a try.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; June 6th, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

way to dig up an old post....
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fyi

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
way to dig up an old post....
--
Still own the vette, still have the mirror shake and now the paint is coming off! This mirror was replaced twice by the dealer and painted, so now....I am worse off then before.
--
It is a shame, because it is really a nice car, but how GM has NOT handled the problem really makes one wonder!
--
Neatnic
Old February 8th, 2011, 8:31 AM
CF Junior Member

There's so few posts on here anymore, maybe we should skip over to the Toyota section.
Old April 5th, 2011, 8:42 AM
CF Junior Member

I've NEVER had a good experience at Bob Steel.. My last experience.. I had to take my truck in for a recall and they had to drop/change the oil. The tech didn't tighten the oil filter and I lost 2.5 quarts of oil from the dealer to my house. Noticed the huge puddle in my drive way when I walked back outside. I am done with them.. I had my C6 in for a issue with the transmission now my exhaust rattles constantly.. I'm afraid to take it back to them..

Quick Reply: Getting "Blown Off" by GM