Corvette Since 1953, the All American Sports car, and with the new 2014 C7 model, no end is in sight.

2014 Corvette C7
Platform: Y-body
Latest Corvette C7 News here: CorvetteForum.com

Help needed - considering a '96 C4!!!!

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2009, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed - considering a '96 C4!!!!

Hi all,

First off, i'm living out in Dubai where Chevy's are a plenty! I've already had a Lumina ss which I loved. I moved on to a Jeep for the family, but now I want a cheap peice of fun for myself.

I have found a 1996 Corvette C4 convertible with the LT1 engine. It has a service history with 130,000 km's on the clock. I don't know too much about the cars but I drove it and it felt strong. Very stiff, as in the headlights shaking going over any bumps but Ive heard this is normal. I have a couple of concerns which maybe you experts can help me with:

1) The interior/exteriorcondition is probably about 2/10. Being red, out here in the middle east. the paint is wrecked, I would prob need to respray if I was to be happy. All the seals around the hood, although not leaking, are very tatty but I beleive this would require a new roof to fix. The interior is also pretty bad. All the plastics sratched, carpet worn and seats discoloured. Cut a long story short, I would need to slowly replace the interior plastics and upholstery to be happy.

2) Looking and listening to the engine, it seemed fine. Had recent service with belts, water pump and couple other things. My concern, at the bulkhead side/back of the engine, there was a rubber pipe comingfrom thehead and suspended in mid air, not attached to anything. I've checked out some pictures of other engines and this is connected to something, what? how can the car run with this pipe left open and unattached?

Now the important and attractive part... I can get it for around 3500 - 4000 dollars. I think that's pretty good bang for buck, but is it just going to annoy me having to fix it up!

Please let me know your opinions. I know you'd like to see pics, but I can't get them. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Geo
Old January 9th, 2009, 9:25 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: Help needed - considering a '96 C4!!!!

Not familiar w/ the C4s but would it be part of the crankcase vent system?
Old January 10th, 2009, 1:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Not familiar w/ the C4s but would it be part of the crankcase vent system?
I would say so, the engine runs fine and apparently it was not picked up during a service with the dealer. I just would not like to think it is a temp fix for a bigger problem, any other ideas?

Thanks
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

See if you can find someone w/ an unmolested '96 and check how the hoses are routed on it.