Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2011 Chevy cruze. Coolant, overheating, engine light

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2019, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Chevy cruze. Coolant, overheating, engine light

i am at my wits end trying to fugure this out. 3 years ago end of summer my engine light came on out of nowhere and my car's heat wouldnt work. The next day it overheated on way to work i got it to a mechanic and was told i needed a thermostat. Replaced thermostat and the engine light went off. Couple months go by and i am having peoblems again. Im putting coolant in every week. Half gallons at a time! Had it pressure tested nothing wrong, replaced a hose didnt help, replaced valve cover didnt help. No engine light until today and fan runs high and loud. Why for this many years and this many mechanics looking at it and nothing can be found and nothing fixes it. This is the worst it has sounded since this started. I bought this car because it was dependable or so i thought. Seems alot of other people are having the sane issues! Why is there no recall for this problem? I am a single mother with a single income and obviously i need my car to get to work! I also can not continue to keep paying to fix all these things for the problem to not be fixed. HELP!!!
Michelle H.
a.k.a. FED UP!
Old October 16th, 2019, 8:01 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the leaks i see are for the water pump and reservoir. if theres no visible leaks or puddles under the car then it might be internal. you can have the coolant tested for exhaust gasses. if the mechanic you take it to (guessing backyard) mechanic cant find the leak i would find a new mechanic. the reason you heat prob did work is because the coolant was low due to a coolant leak. the thermostat might not have even been bad but the coolant leak caused these issues from the start. maybe theres head damage or head gasket might be damaged
Old February 25th, 2020, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Call gm motors!

Originally Posted by Michelle Hiser
i am at my wits end trying to fugure this out. 3 years ago end of summer my engine light came on out of nowhere and my car's heat wouldnt work. The next day it overheated on way to work i got it to a mechanic and was told i needed a thermostat. Replaced thermostat and the engine light went off. Couple months go by and i am having peoblems again. Im putting coolant in every week. Half gallons at a time! Had it pressure tested nothing wrong, replaced a hose didnt help, replaced valve cover didnt help. No engine light until today and fan runs high and loud. Why for this many years and this many mechanics looking at it and nothing can be found and nothing fixes it. This is the worst it has sounded since this started. I bought this car because it was dependable or so i thought. Seems alot of other people are having the sane issues! Why is there no recall for this problem? I am a single mother with a single income and obviously i need my car to get to work! I also can not continue to keep paying to fix all these things for the problem to not be fixed. HELP!!!
Michelle H.
a.k.a. FED UP!
i know the feeling! Same thing with my 2014 Chevy Cruze ltz. Make sure you call gm and make a complaint about this! A month and a half ago, i just had my water pump, water outlet and thermostat changed in my coolant. I am currently at a Chevy dealership getting my reservoir replaced bc that is leaking now. It’s def not an cheap fix, and Chevy will only pay for the pump. This is a common thing to happen in Chevys, and it def needs looked into. It seems to happen a lot more right after the warranty is up, almost like a set up. Gm had told me the more people who call about this, the better the chance they will do a recall.