Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

2011 Chevy Cruze Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2013, 9:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by JoshB87
hello everyone,
until reading through this, I did not relieze the problems going on with the Cruze. I am a ASE master certified, GM gold level certified technician at a GMC, Buick, (ex) Pontiac dealer, with 4 years experience here and 4 years experience at a Chevrolet, Cadillac, (ex) Oldsmobile dealer. The shaking problem you all have been experiencing is usually due to a faulty PCV vent cap on the valve cover, causing the engine to run lean from too much air being drawn in.

kg, I have one on my lift right now with the same problem. I will report back and let you know what I find. This is the first Cruze I have been brought with transmission problems. Most of the Malibus have the same transmission, a 6T40.

My recomendation to you all, when you take it to the dealer, if they say "operating as designed" or "no problem found", tell them you want a tech to ride with you, and if they still say it is a normal operating characteristic, tell them you want them to go for a ride with you in a similar vehicle. That is supposed to be one of our first steps, to compare a vehicle to a same-build vehicle.
I am SO happy that you are here. Being a GOLD technician, I would imagine that means that you are tops. I don't know what problem you are addressing here, but I have a question for you since you seem to have GM's FAVORITE phrase down pat- "OPERATING AS DESIGNED"!! I shuddered when I heard that phrase!

On Feb. 14, 2011 I leased a 2011 Cruze LTZ RS with every option except nav. At first things seemed ok. Then, a few months later, the tranny started acting erratically! Sometimes it would BANG into gear, sometimes it would feel that someone bumped into me from behind. HOWEVER, that was NOTHING compared to when NOTHING would happen when pulling into traffic or turning in front of an oncoming car when you have plenty of time to do it, but you can't go! The dealer kept telling me that there were NO fault codes, so there was nothing to check. I would tell them that they would not notice anything with a 2 minute drive because it was erratic. I told them to keep the car and drive it in stop and go traffic where most of my driving was done and where the problem occurred. They would not do that.

Then, I got involved with GM "customer service" with something called the Business Resource Center which is probably some outsourced company to TRY and appease the customer. I ended up speaking to THREE different people there. I have NO clue why except I think I kept moving UP the chain of command. The dealer reflashed the TCM and maybe a few other things, but NOTHING changed. I think they also replaced the TCM- I can't remember exactly now because it REALLY was a NIGHTMARE to deal with! When the GM "customer service" told me there was nothing else they could do, I called GM CORPORATE in Michigan. I THOUGHT that MIGHT resolve the problem once and for all, but I was wrong again! I almost got hit by a bus while I was pulling out of a shopping center. The car was an accident waiting to happen! I rarely drove it and when I did, I always had to be watchful of traffic if I had to turn or pull out into traffic.

Then, the dealer was going to attach some device to my car that would allow me to push some button when the tranny was acting up! After waiting MONTHS for this device to be installed because the dealer kept telling me that he was waiting for GM to update the device for MY car, someone decided that would not solve the problem! Besides, if I was in danger of being hit, I DON'T think that my first thought would be to push a button on this device they wanted to install. Personally, I think it was just BS and a stall tactic figuring that I would just give up! Well, when your life is in danger at any given time, there was no way I was going to give up!

SO, FINALLY after MONTHS AND MONTHS of dealing with "customer service" and GM Corporate, they supposedly sent a GM transmission guy to look at my car around January 26, 2013. They had my car for about 5 days I think and drove it 13 miles-maybe- now that I think of it, they could have had it on the lift and made the odometer go 13 miles because they KNEW there was NO solution to my problem EXCEPT to buy back the car! I would have filed for Lemon Law, but because I did not buy the car in CT, I could NOT file CT Lemon Law which is supposedly the first state to have a Lemon Law and is claimed to be the best!

Anyway, the dealer called me and told me that the engineer stated that the car was, YES, you guessed it- "OPERATING AS DESIGNED"! SIX days later, I was driving a fully loaded 2013 Buick Verano Turbo that has been an absolute DREAM compared to the Cruze. I have heard all the comments that the Verano is based on the Cruze body and that the tranny is the "same", but NONE of that matters to me because the Verano is NOTHING like the Cruze! NOT one problem or concern so far- just oil changes! One recall for MAYBE defective door handles or something, but I have not had that addressed yet because my doors are fine. When it goes in for the next oil change, I'll have them address it.

SO, now that the 2014 Cruzes are out, can you tell me what you know about the 2011 Cruze tranny problem. Of course, your first sentence SHOCKS me because you state until you read the messages here, you did not know about the Cruze problems! IF you really want to know about what other people have said about their Cruzes and the problems they have encountered like the anti-freeze smells in the car and the 2011 Cruzes that caught on fire, you should go to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums because THAT forum is REALLY active with Cruze owners and "connected GM people"! This forum is nothing compared to that one. However, DON'T bash GM there because they will eventually ban you! They think you should just keep going to the dealer time after time even though you are making NO headway. They don't care if you have to take time off from work or if the dealer is far away from you. They think you should just deal with it!

Aside from my Cruze problem, I love GM cars! The ONLY time I never had a GM car is when they had nothing that I liked! I LOVED my 2 Buick Rivieras! The one with the all electronic dash and my rocket ship supercharged one or my 2008 LTZ Malibu or my Chevy Caprices etc. GM had to get rid of the Riv for whatever reason. Now, I hear rumblings it MIGHT be coming back! Let's hope this NEW GM CEO is a CAR WOMAN and can get GM back on the right track compared to Akerson! I have read that he's like Joe Biden- when he speaks, you NEVER know what's going to come out of his mouth!

I hope I haven't bored you and that you could shed some light on that 2011 tranny! Last year, GM came out with some excuse that the tranny was programmed for European drivers or some such BS! I guess Europeans like their cars to shift like a truck! [/SIZE][/FONT]
Old December 17th, 2013, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car im working on right now really is the first Cruze I have worked on with transmission complaints; but doing a google search on the problem I am dealing with showed there are a TON of 2011 complaints. This one has reverse, but no forward gears at all. I wish I could get my hands on one like you all have had problems with to drive it and see what it does. I would be very unhappy too if I couldnt safely pull out in traffic. My 87 2.8 S10 is scary enough with its lack of power, I can't imagine hitting the gas and getting absolutly nothing.

There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) about antifreeze smells in these cars, so gm knows that is a problem. If memory recalls correctly, it just states to check some body seam seals, but from what I have seen the real problem is a very very hard to notice water pump leak. It took me a while to find that on my friends cruze (which was traded in for a dodge journey about 3 days after I fixed it).

if you dont mind, PM me what dealer you were using and if you have it, your old vin number. Im curious to see what the dealer reported to GM they did to it. I would have my butt chewed if I only drove a car 13 miles with that many complaints. The device you are talking about the wanted you to use, is a vehicle data recorder. in my opinion, they are complete junk. I wont even hook one up to a car. I mean really, who thinks to hit a button at the exact precise moment your car acts up?

If I can get ahold of one of these 11 cruzes with the transmission problem you all have had I will let you know what I find.
Old December 24th, 2013, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I finally resolved the issue my (now fiance) was having with her 2011 Chevrolet Cruze transmission - I traded the car in for a Honda Civic. The difference in the transmission is like night and day. The Cruze was a nightmare since the moment she bought it. Many recalls, incompetent service staff at local dealership and overall horrible experience with Chevrolet. We will never purchase another Chevrolet vehicle.

I have always owned Honda's but thought we should give Chevrolet a try since the dealership was right down the street. I am glad we never have to step foot in that dealership again - it seemed every month there was a new recall or service bulletin on her car.

Last edited by gigahurtz; December 24th, 2013 at 7:40 PM.
Old December 24th, 2013, 8:04 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

That is definitely a way to resolve the issue
The Civic has had a long history of reliability, and is often sought out as the "first car" for many new drivers...what year model did you get?
Old December 24th, 2013, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
That is definitely a way to resolve the issue
The Civic has had a long history of reliability, and is often sought out as the "first car" for many new drivers...what year model did you get?
We purchased a brand new 2013 Civic LX in white. I've always been an advocate of Honda but when she was in the market I figured a Cruze would be a good alternative. I was wrong.

The Civic is loaded with features at the same price point her Cruze was. The service facility I go to is excellent (yes it's a dealership but the prices are reasonable and staff is great). I enjoy bringing my car there, many amenities and the staff is very helpful.

We had a lot of great memories with her Cruze, we took some great road trips with it but I am glad to have her in a more reliable car that will do well for her for many years to come.
Old December 25th, 2013, 10:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gigahurtz
Well, I finally resolved the issue my (now fiance) was having with her 2011 Chevrolet Cruze transmission - I traded the car in for a Honda Civic. The difference in the transmission is like night and day. The Cruze was a nightmare since the moment she bought it. Many recalls, incompetent service staff at local dealership and overall horrible experience with Chevrolet. We will never purchase another Chevrolet vehicle.

I have always owned Honda's but thought we should give Chevrolet a try since the dealership was right down the street. I am glad we never have to step foot in that dealership again - it seemed every month there was a new recall or service bulletin on her car.

CONGRATULATIONS! That is the ONLY way to solve the 2011 Cruze transmission problems! There was NO fix! Changing the TCM did nothing! Dealer said replacing the transmission would make NO DIFFERENCE because he did it on someone else's Cruze! You could NOT put a 2012 tranny in a 2011 model- supposedly, according to GM Corporate! Besides, one of the service advisors at the dealer had the same and MORE problems (antifreeze smell) with her 2011 Cruze and GM did NOTHING for her, so what would EVER make me think that they were going to fix my car if they didn't help her!

THIS is ONE reason WHY I have been leasing my cars for YEARS! If there is a problem, like my POS Cruze, I do NOT take the loss in value, GM does! The car goes BACK to its maker!

Best of luck with the new car! Drive it in good health. Six days after the GM engineer said that my POS was "operating as designed", I dumped it for a 2013 Buick Verano Turbo- fully loaded! It cost thousands more than the Cruze, but cost me LESS in my lease payment because I used my GM credit card bonus, GM specials and buyer loyal $$$$$ etc. I didn't put down 2 cents! The car will be 1 year old on Jan.31st! NOT ONE problem or concern! One recall for MAYBE a door lock problem that I will have looked at on my next oil change next week! I really like GM products and have had MANY over the decades which is why I got the Verano! The car is like a JET with the turbo- 250HP!

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!
Old December 31st, 2013, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Issues

I bought my 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS in March 2011, I never had any problems for a long time. But when it started shifting hard, not all the time but it would occasionally, and the blue tooth would always quit working, I decided to take it in to the dealer. I was told they found nothing wrong with it, that they would note my concerns, they had it for a week. The service guy told me he had a Cruze and he has never noticed any of that with his. It still shifts hard now and then, the trunk latch won't work, I quite using the blue tooth, and it has trouble with linking to my IPOD so I don't use that much at all anymore. I never knew anything about the Lemon Law, now my car is past that now, 24,000 miles/24 months, plus I was told nothing was wrong with it. And it only has 24,200 miles on it. Looks like I am going to have to work on my husband to get it traded in, maybe even look into a different make possibly. As I read above, I noticed the antifreeze smell today, and a service guy at a dealership was even looking into a funny sound I had heard. Hmmmmmm

Last edited by HARVICK29RULEZ; December 31st, 2013 at 4:51 PM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 7:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Angry

Originally Posted by HARVICK29RULEZ
I bought my 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS in March 2011, I never had any problems for a long time. But when it started shifting hard, not all the time but it would occasionally, and the blue tooth would always quit working, I decided to take it in to the dealer. I was told they found nothing wrong with it, that they would note my concerns, they had it for a week. The service guy told me he had a Cruze and he has never noticed any of that with his. It still shifts hard now and then, the trunk latch won't work, I quite using the blue tooth, and it has trouble with linking to my IPOD so I don't use that much at all anymore. I never knew anything about the Lemon Law, now my car is past that now, 24,000 miles/24 months, plus I was told nothing was wrong with it. And it only has 24,200 miles on it. Looks like I am going to have to work on my husband to get it traded in, maybe even look into a different make possibly. As I read above, I noticed the antifreeze smell today, and a service guy at a dealership was even looking into a funny sound I had heard. Hmmmmmm
Sorry you encountered problems too and that YOUR dealer is the same as all the rest- "can't find anything wrong"! The KEY GM phrase that MUST be in the GM handbook is "operating as designed"! What BS! Your best bet is to get rid of it while it still has SOME value. This is WHY I have been leasing my cars for decades now! If there is a problem, GM gets it back or whatever car company it might be. Also, if you buy the car, they want to give you NOTHING for it at trade in. THEN, if you sell it yourself, you have to deal with the crazies in the world coming to your house, driving you car etc. Several years back, I remember a story about someone selling a car here in CT and was killed by the person testing his car!

You best bet is to find a car that holds its value. If you lease, your payments are based on the residual value of the car. The better it holds it's value, the more expensive car you can lease. Try NEVER to put ANY money down on a lease because that's money out the window!

If you read my messages above, you know that I got rid of my 2011 Cruze LTZ RS last January 31, 2013 and leased a 2013 Buick Verano Turbo! I LOVE this car! Not one problem or concern! One recall they have to check out about the door handles or something. No big deal. I'll have it done when I bring it in for the next oil change!

I wish you luck. IF you do keep it, maybe you should sign in to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums It is WAY MORE active than this and there are a ton of knowledgeable/connected Cruze owners there who believe the Cruze is the best thing since sliced bread! They banned me because I didn't agree with their endless love for the Cruze. I think they didn't want me complaining about the Cruze because then the value of their cars would drop and they would take a loss at trade in time as word got out about all the Cruze problems!

Hang in there. Did you check YOUR state Lemon Law because they are ALL different! Check out the BBB also. They MIGHT be able to help you.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thought I would drop in with an update to the 2011 Cruze I was dealing with; a new TCM and TCM reprogram fixed it from only having reverse. Upon test driving it, the transmission did seem mushy for my liking, so I picked up a friend who owned a 2011. He said his felt the same this one did. This one never lagged on me on takeoff though.

Something I would like to extend to anyone here; if any of you having this (or any general motors car) problem are anywhere near south central Kentucky, please PM me and I can send you my dealership info. I still want to get my hands on one of these that lags on takeoff. For a reference to any of you; I am about an hour north of Nashville, TN and about an hour south of Louisville, KY
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JoshB87
Thought I would drop in with an update to the 2011 Cruze I was dealing with; a new TCM and TCM reprogram fixed it from only having reverse. Upon test driving it, the transmission did seem mushy for my liking, so I picked up a friend who owned a 2011. He said his felt the same this one did. This one never lagged on me on takeoff though.

Something I would like to extend to anyone here; if any of you having this (or any general motors car) problem are anywhere near south central Kentucky, please PM me and I can send you my dealership info. I still want to get my hands on one of these that lags on takeoff. For a reference to any of you; I am about an hour north of Nashville, TN and about an hour south of Louisville, KY

Happy to see that SOMEONE connected to GM is willing to go above and beyond the usual "operating as designed", "can't duplicate the problem", "they all do that", "you're the first one to complain about this" etc. etc. etc. I am SURE many here can relate to those EXCUSES! Kudos to you!

For you to never hear of any problems with the Cruze, the 2011 specifically, I would venture to guess that you are in some small, rural town that doesn't sell many Cruzes. Did you ever have any Cruzes with the antifreeze smell! It took GM THREE years to resolve this problem, and even then, I think it was the PATIENCE of several people in cruzetalk.com who really solved the problem instead of the "engineers" at GM! There were several reasons for that problem- one of which was to take the WHOLE front dash apart! UGH! Ever hear of any 2011 Cruzes that caught on fire before GM decided to have the dealers do a HATCHET job on the panel under the oil pan? How about brakes NOT working when backing up? There were many problems on the 2011 Cruze that should NOT have been present for a car that GM TOUTED as being tested for 4 MILLION miles! In addition, the Cruze was out in HUNDREDS of countries BEFORE making an appearance in the USA! SOME parts on those cars HAD to be the same as the USA Cruze. The foreign Cruzes had NONE of these problems in those 4 million miles of testing? BS!

I certainly hope that people living near your dealership take you up on your offer to help or at least give them an HONEST answer instead of some BS canned response that GM must put in their training manuals!

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2011 Chevy Cruze Transmission Problems