Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2013 Chevy Cruze - USB Port won't charge my phone

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2015, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Chevy Cruze - USB Port won't charge my phone

within 2 months after buying my Cruze, it will not charge my smart phone. After months of going back and forth with the dealership and having them try to fix it, they called GM (or they said they did), and GM told them that the USB port is not meant to charge phones, as the port only puts out .5 amps, and most cell phones require at least 2 amps to charge. They said that it is really only meant for mp3 players or Ipods.

Seriously? What good is having a usb port in the car if you can't even plug your phone into it? I call BS.
Old February 20th, 2015, 1:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What smart phone are you using?

Somethings charge really slowly at that amps, so you might be at a net loss if say using an Ipad tablet with screen on, etc.

Does your phone connect otherwise? Have you tried a different cable? Have you tried THAT cable in another charger, such as a usb 1.1 port on a computer or laptop?

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da.../2k13cruze.pdf

Page 7-16
USB Port
For vehicles with a USB port, the
following devices may be connected
and controlled by the infotainment
system.
. iPods
. PlaysForSure Devices (PFDs)
. USB Drives
. Zunes®
Not all iPods, PFDs, USB drives,
and Zunes are compatible with the
infotainment system. Devices are
also charged while plugged into the
USB port.
Old February 21st, 2015, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

It is a Samsung S5. and no, it doesn't charge at all in that port, it will connect, but after about a minute, it will disconnect, like it is unplugged. Never charges as it keeps restarting, like I am plugging it in and unplugging it constantly. So needless to say, I cannot use the port at all.

It works when I use an adapter in the "cigarette lighter", and with my computer, and my wall charger...only this port doesn't work.

The dealership where I bought it replaced the port, and it did nothing, so I am wondering if there is a problem with the wiring to the port? The dealership said that they called GM, who told them that the port is NOT meant to charge a phone, that it only puts out .5 amps, and most cell phones need 2 amps to charge. To me that seems like total BS. So now they have washed their hands of it.
Old February 21st, 2015, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Oh, and they said that it is only meant for things like Ipods and Mp3's. The thing is, it DID work for the first month or two...which is why the answer they gave me makes no sense.
Old February 21st, 2015, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only have an S4.. but it looks like the S5 takes a 2.1 amp charger. I have a feeling it would charge like my Samsung galaxy note 2014, very very very slow at .5 amps.

Anyways - I can only suggest trying something like this:

Amazon.com: PortaPow Fast Charge Only USB Adapter for Apple iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, PS Vita, HTC One, Google Nexus, Other Fast Charging Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: PortaPow Fast Charge Only USB Adapter for Apple iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, PS Vita, HTC One, Google Nexus, Other Fast Charging Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

This should prevent the phone from connecting and just enter charge only mode.

Having one of these is some what cool.

Amazon.com: DROK® Dual-usb 2.0 HUB with 2 Ports for Fast Charging & Data Sync Charger Doctor Voltage Current Detector Digital Ammeter Voltmeter Multimeter Solar Panel Alignment Tester Mobile Power Panel Monitor Gauge Dc 3.2-10v 0-3a Red Blue LED: Hom Amazon.com: DROK® Dual-usb 2.0 HUB with 2 Ports for Fast Charging & Data Sync Charger Doctor Voltage Current Detector Digital Ammeter Voltmeter Multimeter Solar Panel Alignment Tester Mobile Power Panel Monitor Gauge Dc 3.2-10v 0-3a Red Blue LED: Hom

You can see what each device is pulling.