Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Anybody actually get help from GM for their mechanical issues/transmission

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2012, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody actually get help from GM for their mechanical issues/transmission

I purchased a chevy cruze in 2011 november. In the beginning, it was a little quirky but months in we started noticing heavy issues with the transmission. I took it to the dealer, they actually saw the problem and tried to fix it, (disconnecting the battery and garage learn the tranxaxle??). they told us they reprogam the transmission. I have taken it 3 more times, and now they refuse to work on it stating that the transmission is normal and that they are unable to duplicate. I have bought about 5 GM cars and my husband actually was a mechanic for GM. For the mechanic to pull us into a room and state that the reason is because the motor hasnt learned our driving because 2 people drive the car doesn't seem right. Has anyone gotten any resolve from GM for this issue? GM offered us a year of service but we already have an extended warranty and a year of service is not worth the problems that we are having. It is actually getting worse where we would only notice it about once a month, now noticing it weekly. Car jerks forward at a stop and lunging forward while driving, rpms bouncing up and down when stopped at a light, rpms going from 2000 to 3000 while I am not accelerating, giving car gas-car seems to be looking for a gear and then jumps forward. Please give me some advice on how to get a remedy for this. I was a loyal GM owner since I was 16 and for the to suddenly not even work on our car or buy it back is ridiculous. Has anyone got any GM remedy or help for these problems.
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by walnutgal
I purchased a chevy cruze in 2011 november. In the beginning, it was a little quirky but months in we started noticing heavy issues with the transmission. I took it to the dealer, they actually saw the problem and tried to fix it, (disconnecting the battery and garage learn the tranxaxle??). they told us they reprogam the transmission. I have taken it 3 more times, and now they refuse to work on it stating that the transmission is normal and that they are unable to duplicate. I have bought about 5 GM cars and my husband actually was a mechanic for GM. For the mechanic to pull us into a room and state that the reason is because the motor hasnt learned our driving because 2 people drive the car doesn't seem right. Has anyone gotten any resolve from GM for this issue? GM offered us a year of service but we already have an extended warranty and a year of service is not worth the problems that we are having. It is actually getting worse where we would only notice it about once a month, now noticing it weekly. Car jerks forward at a stop and lunging forward while driving, rpms bouncing up and down when stopped at a light, rpms going from 2000 to 3000 while I am not accelerating, giving car gas-car seems to be looking for a gear and then jumps forward. Please give me some advice on how to get a remedy for this. I was a loyal GM owner since I was 16 and for the to suddenly not even work on our car or buy it back is ridiculous. Has anyone got any GM remedy or help for these problems.
walnutgal,

I’m sorry are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Have you contacted Chevrolet Customer Service regarding this issue? If not, I would be happy to look into this further for you. If you would like me to proceed, please provide the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, we have contacted GM customer service. They gave us a service contract then when we took the car back in for repairs, they refused to honor the service contract. I guess the service contract was given to us in lieue of any repairs. Then the GM rep admitted to misleading us. I don't understand why we cannot talk to a GM dealer rep or get the repair done that is needed on the car. It is more than petty repairs but actual safety issues that can lead to my family getting hurt or others getting hurt.
Old November 14th, 2012, 2:58 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, we have contacted GM customer service. They gave us a service contract then when we took the car back in for repairs, they refused to honor the service contract. I guess the service contract was given to us in lieue of any repairs. Then the GM rep admitted to misleading us. I don't understand why we cannot talk to a GM dealer rep or get the repair done that is needed on the car. It is more than petty repairs but actual safety issues that can lead to my family getting hurt or others getting hurt.
walnutgal,

I apologize for the inconvenience. Did the GM rep give you a case number (service request or SR number)? If so, I would be happy to look into your case if you provide the number (PM me if you prefer).

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 28th, 2013, 8:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2011 Chevy Cruze is notorious for the erratic transmission shifting and lack of response at times when stepping on the gas. The best advice I have for those of you who have this problem is to report it to the NHTSA site that I will list below. I have been the route with the dealer for over a year complaining to them about the problem and them telling me there were NO new updates from GM. I did have a new TCM put in in August 2012 with 10,196 miles on my car, but that did NOTHING to improve the shifting. I have also been in contact with GM "customer service" AND GM Corporate for the past 6 months and well over 40 recorded phone calls from them. ALL talk! They were going to install a data recorder on my car. That was like a 2 month ordeal because the dealer kept telling me that they were waiting for GM to update the data recorder for my Cruze. November 7th was the date I was supposed to get this installed. I get to the dealer and he tells me that GM has not sent the update yet. They had OVER a month to do that!

So, I came home and decided that it was time to call GM Corporate directly instead of dealing with "customer service"! So, from November 7, 2012 until January 15, 2013, the ONLY thing that was accomplished, besides my blood pressure rising EVERYTIME my Called ID said GM, was to have an engineer come down to look at my Cruze. That was Jan. 15th. On Jan. 21st, the dealer finally called me and said......................are you ready....................because I am SURE those of you with the same problem KNOW what I am going to say............."car operating as designed"! LOL......My problem is erratic and most noticeable in stop and go driving that I do the most. This engineer drove my car a total of 13 miles! I told them, when I dropped the car off, to keep it as long as they wanted! WHY they had it for 5 days is beyond me. You see, there is NO fix for the problems we are having with the shifting and lack of acceleration at times. Putting in a new transmission will NOT solve the problem. My dealer told me they already did that with someone else's Cruze. A 2012 transmission cannot be put in a 2011 model according to the guy from GM Corporate. So, as far as GM is concerned- CASE CLOSED! As far as I am concerned, the battle continues as I move on to the next step.

THIS forum seems VERY dead. May I suggest you go to cruzetalk.com where the action is constant and ongoing. You can read more about my soap opera story in any transmission topic there. Some of the tranny topics you have to search for. The following is what I copied from my post at cruzetalk because it seems as if this may be our ONLY hope of getting our cars recalled!

For those of you who are still experiencing problems with your Cruze transmission and lack of acceleration at times and can't get anywhere with their dealer OR the new and improved GM "customer service", my only suggestion is to file a complaint with the NHTSA at this address-

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

It is an Adobe .pdf form that you download and fill out right on your computer and then upload to NHTSA. It is VERY easy and does not take hours to do. I learned that you cannot be wordy because they restrict how much you can write and you cannot include people's names because they will delete them. When I called them, they told me that while they cannot solve individual problems, they will look for recurring issues and if they feel there is a pattern, they CAN initiate a RECALL of our cars. You KNOW that GM is not going to recall them! I feel sorry for those of you who purchased your cars outright. Many of you already traded them in, at a loss, and purchased something else. I'm "lucky" because my car is a lease and on February 14, 2014, it goes back to its maker- GM! The loss of value is on THEM and not me! I don't think they will be able to sell this car to anyone. That said, my cars are kept in pristine condition with low miles, so someone seeing it might jump at it and not pay attention to how it drives and get hoodwinked into buying it. Hopefully not. I only have 13,200 miles in 2 years. Good luck.

Last edited by fastdriver; February 12th, 2013 at 7:04 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 9:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up MY problem solved!

Since the last time I posted, things have changed. I ended my lease on the 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS with the crappy shifting tranmission no thanks to GM!

I leased a 2013 Buick Verano Turbo! Car listed for $32,600 about $7,000 more than my fully loaded LTZ. My payments are only $10.00 more a month. I was very lucky that my selling dealer bought out the last year of my lease! What I see happening is GM has ended up putting pressure on the dealers to deal with the problem cars INSTEAD of GM buying them back! If GM buys them back, they have to be titled as a BUY BACK with sends out warning signals to any future purchaser. I would imagine it also affects resale value! The dealer wants to KEEP you as a customer, so they are doing whatever they can to get you out of your problem car and into something else!

The dealers CANNOT be held liable for not fixing our cars because they can only do what GM tells them to do as far as warranty work is concerned. My servicing dealer KNEW that he could not fix my car no matter what he did! As a matter of fact, the female service advisor at the dealer also had a 2011 Cruze with the transmission issue AND the antifreeze smell and they couldn't fix her car! She ended up getting out of her lease, at a significant loss, and leased a 2012 Cruze with no problems.

I feel sorry for those of you who bought your Cruze and now have to deal with any dollar loss trying to sell it or trade it in. All I can say is hang in there. A moderator in the cruzetalk.com site has some connection with GM and says that they are aware of the antifreeze smell and are working on a solution! The latest fix they have now, does NOT work. GM is aware of that too! This smell has been around with the 2011 Cruzes, the 2012's and now the 2013 Cruzes. Patience is a virtue!

My Verano pics can be seen here:
2013 Buick Verano Turbo Photos by fastdriver2 | Photobucket

Last edited by fastdriver; April 2nd, 2013 at 9:09 PM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Cruze lousy trans

GM will not help with 2011 Cruze Transmission problems as they say it is operating normally. The only way to fix the problem is to trade it off and let someone else deal with problem . I fixed my problem by trading for 2012 chev malibu . I did this becaause the dealer wanted to keep my business and made us a really good deal. End of cruze problem for me and I will not buy another cruze. I would have bought Ford but for the deal GM dealer made me.