Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Cooling fan wont shut off. Loosing power. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2018, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan wont shut off. Loosing power. HELP!!

Hi everyone!! I'm really hoping someone can help me. My Chevy Cruze engine cooling fan is running hard core!! I'm losing power also. My mechanic put his machine to my car and its throwing a code. P0097. So we replaced the IAT sensor that was throwing the code. I see that other people are having the same issues but getting different codes. Please help!!!! My mechanic and myself are dumb founded and dont know what to do. We ordered the right sensor and the problem is still happening. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited by David Shutovich; November 23rd, 2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 3:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

IAT sensor isn't the one that controls the fan, I beleive there is an external one at the radiator. Not familar with the cruze, but the intake or inlet air sensor shouldn't be the one controlling the fan.
Old November 24th, 2018, 9:09 AM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Shutovich
Hi everyone!! I'm really hoping someone can help me. My Chevy Cruze engine cooling fan is running hard core!! I'm losing power also. My mechanic put his machine to my car and its throwing a code. P0097. So we replaced the IAT sensor that was throwing the code. I see that other people are having the same issues but getting different codes. Please help!!!! My mechanic and myself are dumb founded and dont know what to do. We ordered the right sensor and the problem is still happening. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!
I look at a post like this and go, "hmmm, wonder what YEAR the vehicle is?"
I look at this post and ask "hmmm, I wonder what ENGINE the vehicle has?"
I look at this post and shrug my shoulders and ask, "how many MILES are on the odometer?"
I look at this post and ask myself, "has the engine ever been REPLACED?"
I look at the post and wonder to myself, "has the vehicle EVER been in a crash?"

If your mechanic, looking at the car in front of him, with all of that information available to him, was unable to help you, why would you throw the problem out here on the Internet, with less information, and expect more help from those who don't have the information?

Because you didn't indicate that any fan relay was unplugged during testing or otherwise eliminated as a potential problem area, I'm going to suggest you start there. You may have a horn relay or other relay that you could swap in to see if the relay itself is bad. If you know which one it is, you can put your finger on it and tell if it is making and breaking contact. While the engine is cold, before the fan normally kicks on, and you pull the relay out of the energized circuit, and the relay clicks when you plug it in and pull it out, then the ground path leg of the relay could have a bad temperature switch or a pinched wire to ground. If it were me doing the diagnostic, I would then find the switch and unplug it and see if the fan goes off. If it does, from there I would use a multimeter and test the switch for correct resistance with an ohmeter. If the fan still runs, then I might look for a pinched ground wire. If the contacts on the relay are fused internally, the fan is going to run continually, and it won't matter if the ground path used to actuate the relay is valid..

Last edited by Kazoocruiser; November 24th, 2018 at 9:13 AM.
Old November 29th, 2018, 11:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe your electric fans are controlled by your temp sensor. Fans will continue to run, even if the engine is turned off, until temp gets below the point when fans turn on. I recently had a similar problem with my 07 Equinox. After much investigating and attempts to flush cooling system, turned out to be a bad head gasket. I'm not saying that's your issue. Could use more info on your vehicle, year, mileage and engine. Is your check engine light on and if so, do you know what codes are showing?