Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Reduced Engine Power Near-Death Experience

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2015, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced Engine Power Near-Death Experience

Since this seems to be a well-known issue, I figured I'd get my story on record for the wrongful-death class-action suit that will eventually happen. 2013 Cruze with 11500 miles. Earlier this week we awoke to a cool, foggy day. Car was completely covered in dew and air temp was mid 50's. This is all relevant to my experience. I started the car, turned on front and rear defrosters and windshield wipers. Once windows were clear enough for me to see I started my 4-minute drive to the office. Three minutes later, while driving down a city street at 20mph the car suddenly lost acceleration and virtually every warning light on the instrument panel lit-up. "Reduced Engine Power," "Service Stabilitrak," ETC. Sound familiar? It should since a 5-minute internet search shows this happening across the GM line since at least 2011 and possibly as far back as 2008. Fortunately I was driving at low-speed on a one-way street. Being able to proceed at 2mph allowed me to get the car to the street side. Had I been on the interstate, or crossing a busy intersection, my day…and life…could easily have ended in a fiery ball of crushed metal. After sitting on the street for 20 minutes or so I restarted the car and all warnings except "check engine" were off. I drove the car the 2 +/- miles to the dealership, explained what had happened and left the car with them. When they started the car to pull it in to the service bay, the CEL had turned off. They kept it for two days and even had a tech drive it home overnight to try to replicate the circumstances of the day I had the problem. This takes us back to the foggy morning. The tech had it on a night/morning when weather was lovely. No fog, no cool temps, no dew on the car. Notice the trend in the forums of people that have had this issue: foggy days, after car washes, damp and cool but not freezing weather. For lack of another option, I'm back to driving the car. When, not if, this happens again I will hopefully be on the same quiet city streets rather than trying to merge in to interstate traffic. If I'm not so lucky, and my heir joins in or files the wrongful-death suit, you can all say you heard it here first.
Old October 17th, 2015, 6:38 PM
JNH
CF Beginner

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe V6, mileage at service time 71000, service date was 10/16/2015, serviced at Doug’s Chevrolet in Akron Ohio. I had the issue of “Reducing Engine Power” then “Shutting Engine Down” including the “Check Engine” and “Traction Control” lights. Pulled the codes; “P0601 Generic” which refers to “Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error”. I discussed this with the dealership service department and they agreed that it was going to be either the ECM or the Throttle Body. They said the ECM is covered under Federal Emission Warranty (8yr/80,000 mile), and the Throttle Body was also covered under “some other” warranty (hmm on that one, they did not go into specifics). After diagnostics they replaced the ECM, total cost, zero. The Federal Emission Warranty covers diagnostics and labor as well as the parts. Glad I did my research, so posting this so that others with this problem are aware, go to the dealership!

Last edited by JNH; October 17th, 2015 at 6:41 PM.
Old November 21st, 2015, 11:59 PM
CF Veteran

Not to say it isn't an issue but theres literally 100s of reasons that the reduced engine power mode will be activated, although they should have a code to go off of and do more than just drive the car.
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same thing happened to me with my 2012

I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze and I have a full tank of gas but the same thing happened to me with the reduced engine power and Stabilitrak message and all the other lights coming on in the car just shutting down. We're pursuing it with GM to see what can be done.
Old January 10th, 2016, 8:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by prjoe
I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze and I have a full tank of gas but the same thing happened to me with the reduced engine power and Stabilitrak message and all the other lights coming on in the car just shutting down. We're pursuing it with GM to see what can be done.
I just had this happen to me for the first time tonight on my 2014 Cruze.
The Radio went dead too.
It happened at a stop light.
Old February 17th, 2016, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Had this happen to me

Seems like GM models across the board start to experience this around 50,000 mile mark or soon after warranty expires. My Cruze would jerk violently and hesitate when accelerating. Took it in twice while warranty was in effect. First time transmission reprogrammed, Nope!! Second time they called in the "master mechanic" and he diagnosed and repaired something with the clutch. Nope!!!No charge for either. Warranty both times. Now the car finally goes into reduced power mode and it's the throttle body $435 out of my pocket to repair because warranty expired. Guess what else no more jerking or hesitation.
Old February 18th, 2016, 3:51 PM
CF Junior Member

My issue was resolved with the dealer replacing the Battery under warranty and the negative cable covered by a service bulletin.