Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Very Dangerous Car 2011 Cruze

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2016, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Dangerous Car 2011 Cruze

I too had the throttle body fail. Driving on I-90 at 70 mph the car decelerated rapidly and I got the Engine Power Reduced message. Absolutely terrifying. Now I am out $435 because it's not covered. Problem after problem since the day i drove it off the lot. Had it back to dealer numerous times for violent jerking while accelerating from a stop. After the 4th time the jerking did not stop, it just got a little less violent, but it's amping up again. These are just 2 examples to vent my anger. I could go a while longer.

I was 59 miles from home and it was towed AGAIN, this time to a different dealer because of distance. The guy at the service center was kind of surprised about the low mileage on it....my response was " yeah well it spends more time being repaired than I spend driving it"

Of course the manager saw how pissed I was and said I could talk to a sales person about maybe trading it in. Yeah right you expect me to buy another GM product
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian6269
I too had the throttle body fail. Driving on I-90 at 70 mph the car decelerated rapidly and I got the Engine Power Reduced message. Absolutely terrifying. Now I am out $435 because it's not covered. Problem after problem since the day i drove it off the lot. Had it back to dealer numerous times for violent jerking while accelerating from a stop. After the 4th time the jerking did not stop, it just got a little less violent, but it's amping up again. These are just 2 examples to vent my anger. I could go a while longer.

I was 59 miles from home and it was towed AGAIN, this time to a different dealer because of distance. The guy at the service center was kind of surprised about the low mileage on it....my response was " yeah well it spends more time being repaired than I spend driving it"

Of course the manager saw how pissed I was and said I could talk to a sales person about maybe trading it in. Yeah right you expect me to buy another GM product

Hello Brian6269,

We recognize this has been a difficult situation and truly regret to hear you’ve encountered such frustrations with your vehicle. Please know that every effort has been made to assure excellent quality vehicles for our customers. I see that you’re continuing to experience concerns with your vehicle and we’d be more than happy to contact the dealership on your behalf. We’re available via private message and would only need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership to move forward.

Kindly,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by harhem
I am a new member on this forum. I wish it would be under better circumstance. Yesterday I almost got into a collision due to the traction control light coming on. This is not my concern. My concern is that the engine quickly goes into a shut down mode. Who was the engineer that though that this is a good idea? I am leaving work in a snow storm with low visibility when this happens. I am about seven months past my warranty but still have just less than 2,000 km before the end of the 60,000 km warranty. I contacted GM of Canada and informed them of this concern and stated that since GM would of been responsible if a collision had occupied i want all diagnostics and repairs done under reaming time warranty because of the possibility that an injury or accident could of occurred. This is obviously a programming issue. IF GM fails to provide this I have also pondered a class action lawsuit for GM of Canada and GM USA. for starters. If you have any questions feel free to post to me
Please post here if you decide to pursue a class action suit. This is a throttle body issue and it IS NOT an isolated incident, many are having the same issue. My transmission was reprogrammed a year ago so that is probably not your problem

Last edited by Brian6269; February 15th, 2016 at 4:58 AM.
Old February 14th, 2016, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by harhem
I have seen throttle body mentioned a few times on these forums. Any idea who this would tie into stability and traction. I am also wondering if i should mention to GM what i posted above
I wouldn't nor have I ever mentioned to GM customer service or dealer anything about legal action, that's not very appropriate or helpful when trying to resolve an issue. I am not a mechanic but I would presume that when the engine goes into reduced power mode stabilitrack is disabled
Old February 14th, 2016, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

yes the reduced power mode disables abs/tcs/stabilitrak along with most throttle control. The whole point of the mode is to protect the vehicle and driver, most people don't take the time or want to take the time to understand it they'd rather rant and rave and move on. If the pcm detects a major engine or drivability problem it will default the engine to reduced power (limp in) instead of having other issues (for example being stuck at wide open throttle). Spewing about law suits might get GM customer service attention but not a dealers or tech, more than likely it will make them less helpful. The minute someone starts being hot headed is the minute I stop helping, simple preschool logic comes into play. Believe me GM is well aware of whats going on and there are a lot of related bulletins, special coverages and recalls that have been and will be released but you can't fix a huge volume problem overnight.
Old February 15th, 2016, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
yes the reduced power mode disables abs/tcs/stabilitrak along with most throttle control. The whole point of the mode is to protect the vehicle and driver, most people don't take the time or want to take the time to understand it they'd rather rant and rave and move on. If the pcm detects a major engine or drivability problem it will default the engine to reduced power (limp in) instead of having other issues (for example being stuck at wide open throttle). Spewing about law suits might get GM customer service attention but not a dealers or tech, more than likely it will make them less helpful. The minute someone starts being hot headed is the minute I stop helping, simple preschool logic comes into play. Believe me GM is well aware of whats going on and there are a lot of related bulletins, special coverages and recalls that have been and will be released but you can't fix a huge volume problem overnight.
I do not understand how going into reduce power mode when cruising along at 65-70 mph on the highway protects either the driver or the vehicle. You do realize that power steering, braking and acceleration are all lost. I was on a 4 lane highway in the middle lanes with traffic beside me, behind me and in front of me. Perhaps it's my ignorance but that doesn't seem very safe for anybody or anything
Old February 15th, 2016, 9:13 PM
CF Veteran

so you'd rather be stuck going full throttle? or maybe an uncontrollable surge or acceleration? Electronic throttle control can have a lot of different issues and concerns that's why the default/fail safe is to limit the speed and rpm that way the engine doesn't self destruct and you have a predictable throttle amount. I know very well what happens when reduced power mode kicks in, if you lost braking you have other issues as the base brakes are unaffected when the abs/stabilitrak is disabled. 100% safe? obviously not...the safer option of what could be? definitely