2013 Chevy Equinox 2.4L OIL TRAUMA

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2024, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2013 Chevy Equinox 2.4L OIL TRAUMA

Hello,

I came across this forum today, and decided to create an account to make this post. I thought it may bring slight catharsis to my on-going situation.

I financed a 2013 Chevy Equinox 2.4L roughly 6 years ago @ 58k Miles. Unfortunately I was unable to catch the oil consumption issue in time and drove a far distance with low oil causing engine damage @ roughly 84k Miles.

The Dealership that sold me my Equinox informed me that I was a couple of months shy of the covered Oil Consumption warranty provided by GM and that it was going to be over 7k out of pocket to repair the vehicle, @ this point my vehicle was 20% paid off.

Desperate I went to the dealership's used car section and was able to communicate with the gentleman that sold me my vehicle initially, and somehow he was able to get GM to cover half of the cost of the repair leaving me with a hefty bill still.

I was upset to say the least about all of this.

Fast forward in time 3 or so years later

I was proactive back when I received a recall notice for the 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1, scheduled it with a dealer and went about my way. When the P0420 came up 5 or so months ago, I did some research and it appeared that the catalytic converted was warrantied at a point as well. *Why didn't they replace it? Unless I was misreading.

My vehicle is now nearing 123k miles and I have to put in a quart of oil every 500 or so miles. The catalytic converter is clogged with carbon P0420 from the oil burning rapidly.

Why didn't GM install the upgraded pistons, rings, and rods that would prevent the oil from burning? Did they and it still just burning due to design flaws?

Owning this vehicle is what I can only describe as traumatic. I can't believe what I'm left with at the end of paying so much into it. It's a complete problem, and it's literally only at 123k miles.

Thanks for pile of crap GM/Chevy.
Old March 20th, 2024, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I was proactive back when I received a recall notice for the 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1, scheduled it with a dealer and went about my way. When the P0420 came up 5 or so months ago, I did some research and it appeared that the catalytic converted was warrantied at a point as well. *Why didn't they replace it? Unless I was misreading.

My vehicle is now nearing 123k miles and I have to put in a quart of oil every 500 or so miles. The catalytic converter is clogged with carbon P0420 from the oil burning rapidly.

Why didn't GM install the upgraded pistons, rings, and rods that would prevent the oil from burning? Did they and it still just burning due to design flaws?
Unfortunately the 2.4 engines were plagued with oil consumption problems. In addition to the cylinder sealing problems, the PCV systems just weren’t well designed and also cause oil consumption.

To verify what was actually done at the time of the repairs, check the repair order/receipt you received at the time. It should have a description/explanation of what was done. If you don’t have it anymore, the dealer should be able to provide a copy,

I suspect the reason they didn’t do the converter at the same time as the O2 sensor is because the recall only states to replace the sensor - it doesn’t state to inspect the converter or check its operation or anything else, so the car was pulled into the shop, the sensor replaced, and then it was parked.

Warranty work at a dealership is difficult to navigate and verify. Any recalls or warranty repair is paid for by GM, and since they have tens to hundreds of thousands of vehicles to repair in situations like this, they try to minimize the cost as much as possible. That means they only replace the parts they absolutely have to and they cut down the labor time for their techs to the bare minimum. As you can imagine, that’s not a great motivator for the tech that has to do the repairs; and most people aren’t willing to do work they’re not getting paid for.

Last edited by Gumby22; March 20th, 2024 at 12:05 PM.