Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

350 engine question regarding electronics

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2006, 2:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 engine question regarding electronics

Hope you can help, My son has 1990 Scottsdale pickup with a running 350 engine with high mileage, but it runs great. He previously owned a gmc 1989 jimmy with a 350 gm factory crate motor. The motor and installation were very costly and he has since damaged the jimmy with only 800 miles on the new motor. The 350 motors are identical but if we swap motors into the 1990 Scottsdale truck are the fuel injection, electronics and the computer still compatable since one is a crate gm motor and the other chevy. It is my understanding gm is chevy and as long as the throttle bodies are the same there should not be a problem. I have a guy willing to swap motors in exchange for keeping the jimmy and the 1990 motor that runs sound but he expressed a concern with the electronics working properly. Is this True Will there be a problem with getting smog? Your expert input would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping
Old October 28th, 2006, 2:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 350 engine question regarding electronics

Hope you can help, My son has 1990 Scottsdale pickup with a running 350 engine with high mileage, but it runs great. He previously owned a gmc 1989 jimmy with a 350 gm factory crate motor. The motor and installation were very costly and he has since damaged the jimmy with only 800 miles on the new motor. The 350 motors are identical but if we swap motors into the 1990 Scottsdale truck are the fuel injection, electronics and the computer still compatable since one is a crate gm motor and the other chevy. It is my understanding gm is chevy and as long as the throttle bodies are the same there should not be a problem. I have a guy willing to swap motors in exchange for keeping the jimmy and the 1990 motor that runs sound but he expressed a concern with the electronics working properly. Is this True Will there be a problem with getting smog? Your expert input would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping