Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

427 vibration - wrong Flywheel????

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2018, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 427 vibration - wrong Flywheel????

I am an experienced car builder/restorer but no experience with Chevy BB engines....

If someone put a 454 flywheel on a 427 wouldn't the engine shake like a hula girl even at idle?

I have a 68 Corvette with 427 - Just got it.
There is an engine vibration starting around 2700 and gets worse as the RPM increases.
My thought was clutch cover out of balance

Upon inspection the engine has a 454 flywheel. (Note I was told engine rebuilt in 2012)

Q: Does the engine have the wrong flywheel or did they swap in a 545 crack during the rebuild?
I do not have access to the builder.

Before I tear into this, I'm looking for opinions.

The transmission is out, is there any issue just firing it up without the clutch? If not vibration then it was the clutch....
If vibration then I pull the pan and inspect the crank...

Thoughts???

Thanks all!
TK

Old April 8th, 2019, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 454 engine was externally balanced (as was the 400 small block)! The 427 was internally balanced. If I recall correctly, the offset weight (on an automatic trans flex plate) has to weigh at least 4 ounces! I am pretty sure that a 283 to 350 (which are all internally balanced engines) flywheel of the same external dimensions will work. You may want to be mindful of the overall weight of the flywheel though.