Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Basic engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2018, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic engine rebuild

I have a 73 454 that runs great but need's freshened up. I did not expect to have to use this motor so my budget is low, but I would like to get another 3 years out if it. I've already decided this is going to be a very basic rebuild, rings, bearings and gaskets. So my question is what tools do I need, and what do I need the machine shop to do? I'm obviously new to engine building and while I would love to do this the right way it's just not possible on this one. I would like to keep this under $800.
Thank you in advance
Old November 27th, 2018, 6:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Mays
I have a 73 454 that runs great but need's freshened up. I did not expect to have to use this motor so my budget is low, but I would like to get another 3 years out if it. I've already decided this is going to be a very basic rebuild, rings, bearings and gaskets. So my question is what tools do I need, and what do I need the machine shop to do? I'm obviously new to engine building and while I would love to do this the right way it's just not possible on this one. I would like to keep this under $800.
Thank you in advance
First off you wont find any shop that's goings to do a bore-job, rings and pistons for $800 bucks. Trying anything in frame is waste of time, unless you just want to swap for
rebuilt heads. Your valve seals (and maybe seats) are likely toasted, so a head and gasket change might help..Carb is probably needing rebuilding too. Probably need a new oil pump and cam-chain at the least. IMO, you are not being realistic here on this under $1000 USD price. Why not sell it as is and find a better, newer vehicle?