Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

building a 283 sbc and have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2015, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a 283 sbc and have some questions.

so i am currently in the process of rebuilding a sbc 283. the block is at the machine shop with the crank getting checked to make sure theres no cracks or issues with it before i start ordering parts. now the machine shop called today and told me that everything is good. so heres my question.

ive built motors before but all the parts were provided. so the problem im having is im not 100% sure on what specs to look for when ordering parts.

im going to go .060 over and want to build it high compression with a wild cam. but in not sure as to what pistons would be good what rods what cam what heads. i know what i wnat but the fact that im boring over has me a bit concerned with clearance issues which is why im so unsure of what to look for.

any guidance on how to calculate everything to order the right parts to start building this motor would be greatly appreciated.

the block is bone stock never been opened so its at 3.875 bore right now. i know i need 3.935 to be .060 over but what should i look for specifically for high compression setup and how does that effect the cam and valves and clearance etc.

thanks
Old December 30th, 2015, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

When it comes to cam choice everything from motor to rear-end needs to be considered. A wild cam per say will Rev higher, and as a general rule if you're going above 6k rpm you really want forged internals and stronger mains (4 bolt, or milodon splayed for ex).

That said, wilder cams are not very street friendly either. But, that lopey sound is hard to beat. I would go with a comp thumpr cam. They provide a nice roller set. These are based on old energizer grinds, but with the right combo would give you over 400hp. Going with the mother thumpr would require 9:1 compression. The big mother thumpr needs about 9.5:1 or better and gears. Look for around a 110 lobe separation angle.

Fir instance if you decided on a wild cam in the 3000-6000 rpm range, you would need at least flat top pistons with 62cc heads that flow 2.02 or better. You will need a good torque converter if using automatic, somewhere in the 3500 stall range. Gears would have to be 3.73 or higher. This is just baseline idea of what you're looking at.
Old December 30th, 2015, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Also, boring a motor widens the diameter of the piston bore, hence a 030 over bore on a stock 350 changes to a 355. It has no effect on stroke, and really no effect on clearance. Changing the stroke will affect clearances because you're changing the length the piston rides in the bore. For example, using a 400 crank on a 350 creates the popular 383. Flat top pistons and high lift cams generally don't have issues unless the piston has no valve reliefs. Domed pistons will most likely need to be ground.