Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Chevy 216 engine

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2015, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy 216 engine

Hello everyone. I've recently been going through my Fathers stuff and have found a 216 chevy engine that was in the process of getting rebuilt. With it I've found a brand new head for it that was never put on. I was wondering how much these heads typically sell for new.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 8:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the cylinder head is in fact new i think that would be a very rare piece now a day's although in the time of manufacture there prob million's made .i would troll e-bay then hemmings motor new's ,you might have to do some leg work and try to trace the casting number tp see what it fit's.then you can join a couple web site's that deal in the type of truck it fits ton ask the forum members their opinion .but it could be worth several hundred dollar's .
Old December 22nd, 2015, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

I found the casting number I think. It's 3835409 with a 1 underneath it. To me it sounds to be a 1949 model from what I've researched that fits both 216 and 235 engines. It appears to be new, but weathered. Still has most of its blue paint on the sides. Any idea what I have here?
The following users liked this post:
Marktumlinson (May 21st, 2024)
Old December 22nd, 2015, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

I found out some more history on it. It is indeed new. My Grandfather was installing it on a 216 engine and used the wrong head studs and ended up cracking the block. He bought it new and left it sitting in our shop for its entire life.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 8:18 AM
CF Veteran

found a very informative site stovebolt casting numbers looks like it could be used on some low pressure 1949 216 and 235 car and truck engines .
Old May 21st, 2024, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Let The Coal Roll
Hello everyone. I've recently been going through my Fathers stuff and have found a 216 chevy engine that was in the process of getting rebuilt. With it I've found a brand new head for it that was never put on. I was wondering how much these heads typically sell for new.
do you still have the cylinder head? I am looking for one.
Old May 21st, 2024, 5:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 651 Likes on 591 Posts

@Marktumlinson he hasn't been to the forum in 8 years