Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Engine Rebuild Manual

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2010, 1:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild Manual

So I have a Vortec 5.7 from a 99 Tahoe, Casting Number: 10243880 (1995-00 350 Gen.I crate motors and "ZZ4", roller cam, one piece rear seal). I guess this is a Gen III Chevy SB motor?

I was told it needs new piston rings but other than that the engine is in great shape... I am mechanically inclined but have not done much engine work. I'm looking at doing this work in my garage and essentially using this as a learning project for me. I'm curious as to if there are any good "How To..." manuals on how to go about this whole process.

I have an old Chiltons manual for my 77 Suburban which explains the process, but as I am going through this engine I'd like to check everything and make sure it meets spec for this motor. Do you think I should use the Chiltons manual to guide me through the process and find the necessary specs online for this engine? Or is there a manual that covers the dis disassembly and specs for this particular motor?
Old March 14th, 2010, 9:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

try chiltons for your rig now.