Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Harnessing power from my 305.

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2013, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harnessing power from my 305.

Hi everyone! I've roamed Chevrolet Forum for quite some time, but never registered.. I guess now is as good of time as ever. I have a question, but do not know if this is the right section.. although it seemed pretty close, anyway.. here goes.

I have a 1992 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4, Single cab, Long bed. I bought this truck with every intention on building the motor it already had, because it ran strong and I got it for a steal. I'm not looking for a 11 second truck, but I would like to have decent get up and go.

The setup;

305 (5.0L) v8, 4 speed automatic transmission, 4.10 rear gears.

What I've done;

2 barrel TBI to 4 barrel edlebrock 750 carb swap w/ adapter, victor Jr. Cold air intake, 4.10 gears, performer RPM intake manifold, pacesetter shorty headers to true dual straight pipes (No cat/muffler), Comp cam

What could I do, too make it a tad bit faster than it is already? For a truck it's age, and weight.. it's very quick on it's feet, but I'd like to see a little bit more. Please don't respond with the typical answer, "Scrap it for a 350", I've seen a boosted 305 make numbers a 350 couldn't because of the thinner cylinder walls in the 350.. so they do have potential to be good little runners, I'm just not quite as experienced as most builders.