Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

on to the heads

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2008, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on to the heads

thanks for your opinions on my block question, while i'm looking for another block i'll start on the heads.
i have head cast # 46264, from what i've found on the internet, it came on the 350 or 400 blocks with 76 cc chamber, 1.72,1.94 up to 2.02 intake valves and 1.5 or 1.6 exaust valves I have 1.94/1.5 on my heads.
my plans were just do some port and polish work by me before i take them in to a machine shop.
question is would it help me at all to go one step up to the 2.02/1.6 valve sizes? can you even do that? and how good of a head do i have to start with? the engine will end up as a truck engine so i'm not sure what effectthis would have.
also what else do you guys recomend?
Old August 24th, 2008, 9:03 PM
CF Veteran

Default RE: on to the heads

i have done it many times ,but it will do you no good on the street with the bigger valve's ,or port matching .the rough port surface's will actually help you for low rpm street use in keeping the air fuel mix from puddeling and help with low end tourque .
Old August 30th, 2008, 2:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: on to the heads

thanks old dog. i know what you mean, i need some torbulence to keep the fuel mixture, i was just thinking polishing the exaust and the combustion chamber, and maybe just cleaning up the intake a little whileleavingit rough.
only one reply, i thought i would get more options than that, it will still be a street engine, but that doesn't mean i want more power out of it, i guess i just don't know the effect of larger valves on the power curve.
how much can the stock heads handle? so far what i have for the engine is a performer intake and carb from edelbrock, some roller rockers and looking for a cam later on.
opinions anyone?