Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Equinox Won't Shift Consistently

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2012, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Equinox Won't Shift Consistently

My daughter in law's 2005 Equinox, sometimes no matter how fast or slow they start out and no matter how high the RPM it will not shift out of low. Seems to happen more often when it is cold than when it is warmed up.

Any common areas to start with? I assume there are sensors or modules that tell it when to shift?

Thanks.
Old December 21st, 2012, 8:04 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Are their any lights on the gauge cluster lit up such as the Service Engine Soon light or Engine/Transmission Temperature warning light?

If the Service Engine Soon light is on, you should get it scanned somewhere and post the codes on here.

Does the gear indicator in the cluster (PRNDIL) indicate the correct position of the gear shifter (e.g. "P" is lit up when the shifter is in the most forward position, "R" is lit up in the next further back position, etc.)

Without knowing anything else, an educated guess at best would be a bad Park/Neutral safety switch (also known as range selector switch), input speed sensor, or bad transmission temp sensor. I would need more information to narrow it down further, but even then it could be something else.

This may or may not be something you can fix yourself, but you need to get it properly diagnosed first.