Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox floor boards are soaking wet

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2013, 2:13 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Pltgold,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. As the others have stated, this may be due to a seal issue. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis after inspection.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions or concern, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this same problem, heres how I fixed it without spending a ton at the stealership.
Go into where your spare tire sits. Remove the spare tire for easier access. you will see a few black grommets about an inch in diameter. poke a hole in all of them with a screw driver. Now when the water gets in the spare tire it will drain out from those holes.
What was happening was the spare tire area was filling up with water and after a hard stop the water would make its way to the back seats. It may be worth to spray water at the rear hatch and tail lights to see if you are getting anymore water inside but atleast if you do it will drain out and not create problems.
Old July 1st, 2014, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

I search the web for a problem of water coming in soaking the floor boards. One tip was make sure the drain holes to sunroof were clear (there are two front corners ones and two rear), there was some debris in the drain hole (front), used a compressor to blow the holes out (just the front ones), but the leak was still bad, coming from the passenger side dash area.

I Found the problem was the sunroof window was loose and not sealing all the way, I pushed up on the sun roof window and tighten the screws up (two on each side on the bottom when sunroof is closed) and leak was gone... 4 gallons of water later.

If the water is in the tire area... that might be the rear sunroof drains leaking/blocked.. I didn't have that issue.

I did this on a 2008 Chevy Equinox with a sunroof, I hope this help someone else out, now to get the front door locks and passenger window to work....

Last edited by jeremyhadl; July 1st, 2014 at 3:54 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default Given up hope

Hi all,

Guess I'm late to the party, but I've given up hope. I also have a sunroof in my '06 Equinox and have been told several times that it's the drainage tubes, but I keep those clean and still have the wet floor problem. Except it's now expanded beyond that to a sloshing sound in my dash when I start driving after it's been raining. Also, now my daytime running lights have shorted out and I have no indicator light on my dash for seatbelts. So I have yet ANOTHER appointment to take it in to the shop in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and just because of course it's my luck, my problem started happening about 30 days after my warranty expired. Been dealing with it ever since. Good to know I'm not alone though!
Old December 20th, 2015, 2:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Extensive Leak primarily in front seats

My father has a 2006 Equinox which constantly has standing water in the front floor boards after it rains. I'm talking pretty severe, like an inch. The mildew has gotten pretty serious. We've tried spraying a hose all over and visually checking the door seals to no avail. At first we didn't associate it with the rain and tried bypassing the heater core thinking it was a leak in the coolant system, but of course that didn't work. I've read about numerous instances of the rear hatch having a bad seal, but we haven't noticed water in the rear.

To add insult to injury, it is my belief that this problem has also caused some electrical issues. We noticed a little while back that the vehicle would randomly die, randomly trip the CEL, and the throttle would occasionally not work. I realized this seemed to coincide with the rain and feel that perhaps the water is causing something to short out. It would make sense to me that if a wiring harness or electrical component were getting wet that it may cause such malfunctions.

I will go out there and check the sun roof as some people have suggested, but we were unable to replicate a leak there. I will also check the spare tire area for water buildup in case it is perhaps just flowing to the front. Has anybody figured anything else out as this is a fairly old thread, or any other suggestions? We are both fairly capable of our own repairs and maintenance, and not afraid to apply unorthodox methods to avoid the stealer prices. I'd rather invest in $10 worth of sealant or even new gaskets at a junk yard than drop $400 at a "professional".

I was able to find a TSB pertaining to this, but I can't seem to find any relevant details that would actually help me trace the problem and fix it, if this TSB is even the problem I am experiencing.

Last edited by bwduty605; December 20th, 2015 at 2:54 AM.
Old December 20th, 2015, 4:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tina
Okay so apprantly a few people have been having the same thing is me.

When it rains or there are heavy puddle of water I am finding out the next day my floor boards are completely soaking wet.

Even after it rains and I will go out with a wet vac and clean up all the water on a sunny day no rain in site here comes the soaking floor boards again. This leak is coming from somewhere, when I drive my car sometimes I can here the water swishing from side to side when I turn a corner so there is water building up somewhere and leaking into my car.

Now the previous post someone posted was the same problem and I found out that there was a problem with the 2006 Equinox Subject stated Water leak from the right side of the instrument panel during heavy rain or when going through car wash vin break points 66027135 to 66035604 now mine is 66022246 do you think maybe they cut this problem off to short.

I guess there is some kind of Plenum drain plug was manufactured from an incorrect material that does not expand enough to allow water in the cowl to drain quickly enough.

What do I do ... I made an appt to the GM Certified Autobody ship but wants to charge me $175.00 to do this diagnostic on it to tell if it was a manufacture problem I am just very frustrated because I am out of warrently but yet I have so much water in my vehicle this cant be normal. I have a little infant and the mold and the smell and the stuff probably built up under my rugs cant be good for him.

someone please tell me I am not the only one.
Water gets inside from running down the hatch and behind the tail lights. It pools up in the spare tire compartment. Once that gets full or high enough to seep over the hump under the backseat it drenches everything forward. Gm's fix is to drill to holes in the hard resin gaskets/plugs in the spare tire well.

Your electrical problem sounds more like a 'stabilitrac' issue...read some of the horror stories about that failing in many of the GM brand vehicles and compare to your symptoms. The dealerships fix is usually to get you into a newer car sadly.

Best of luck
Old December 20th, 2015, 4:23 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the super fast reply! I've been scouring the message boards still, and the "sun roof leak" that is extremely common actually causes water to leak directly into the front floor boards and directly onto electronics (such as the throttle which has been one of our problems). Evidently the drain holes in the top run down into hoses which dump out near the wheel wells, and when they are clogged they can separate and drain directly into the floor board. I'll be checking both possibilities as soon as it's light out, and I'll also keep that "stabilitrac" issue in mind for reference.
Old April 26th, 2016, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2015 Chevy Equinox Floor is wet

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Pltgold,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. As the others have stated, this may be due to a seal issue. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis after inspection.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions or concern, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Sam's problem but with a 2015 has to be near the front window.
Old April 27th, 2016, 3:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DebAmani
Sam's problem but with a 2015 has to be near the front window.

I'm sorry to hear you've encountered the same concern in your vehicle, DebAmani. Have you brought it to the attention of your servicing dealership? We'd be happy to contact them on your behalf and review this in greater detail. If this is something of interest, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership.

Thank you,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 12th, 2016, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default Front floorboards

My front floorboards are getting wet and the SEL, engine de-rate and T/C lights all came on. Towed to the dealership. This has happened at least twice in the past few months. The tech found a wet harness connector behind the driver's kick panel. He dried and cleaned it and wrapped it in plastic but didn't know where the water was coming from. The sunroof drains are clear. Checked those with string trimmer line. The cowl.... I was looking for where the water goes when it runs off of the windshield. The only place I can see for it to go is past the wiper shafts and out the rubber drain under this plastic box. The drain (plenum drain?) is behind the engine against the firewall. We poured water onto the windshield and most of it ran off the sides of the cowl into the gap between the front fender and windshield vertical trim. Just a small amount came out of the cowl housing drain.

Quick Reply: 2006 Equinox floor boards are soaking wet