Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 Chevy Equinox - Tranmission Issue?

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Chevy Equinox - Tranmission Issue?

In mid October I purchased a 2007 AWD Chevy Equinox. A couple weeks after I purchased it, I noticed that on some occasions it felt as if it was having issues switching into different gears. It would only happen for the first couple miles of driving it then it would drive smooth the rest of the time.

Because of the cold weather, I have been making sure to get my car warmed up for around 10 minutes before I leave but yesterday while on my commute to work the check engine light along with "Service Traction Control" & "Service Stabilitrak" came on when I was driving on the highway. As I took my usual exit, I stopped at the stop sign and when I was ready to drive forward, it drove at a slow pace but then gradually excelled it's speed. This morning when I went to start my commute again, it would barely move as I pressed on the gas.

It's currently sitting at the auto shop but they said they won't be able to get to it until possibly later this afternoon.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what this could possibly be? Could it be that the transmission fluid is low?
Old December 13th, 2012, 5:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Monica Murphy
In mid October I purchased a 2007 AWD Chevy Equinox. A couple weeks after I purchased it, I noticed that on some occasions it felt as if it was having issues switching into different gears. It would only happen for the first couple miles of driving it then it would drive smooth the rest of the time.

Because of the cold weather, I have been making sure to get my car warmed up for around 10 minutes before I leave but yesterday while on my commute to work the check engine light along with "Service Traction Control" & "Service Stabilitrak" came on when I was driving on the highway. As I took my usual exit, I stopped at the stop sign and when I was ready to drive forward, it drove at a slow pace but then gradually excelled it's speed. This morning when I went to start my commute again, it would barely move as I pressed on the gas.

It's currently sitting at the auto shop but they said they won't be able to get to it until possibly later this afternoon.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what this could possibly be? Could it be that the transmission fluid is low?
How many miles are on it?
I wonder if the transmission has ever had the fluid "changed" but when they did they put the wrong fluid back in. It doesn't use Dexron VI like automatic transmissions in most other GM vehicles. It uses GM p/n 88900925 which is equivalent to Toyota T-IV (Toyota p/n 00279-000T4-01).
Old December 14th, 2012, 2:05 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Monica Murphy,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Equinox vehicle. May I ask what the mileage is on the vehicle? Was your shop able to resolve this issue?

Please feel free to contact me privately if you have additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 1st, 2014, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problems, I have 77,000 miles on mine
Old January 28th, 2015, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default similar issue

Had the a similar issue. Transmission would start to slip after running it for a couple of miles.My coworker has a son that works at a Chevy dealer and he checked the fluid, it was good. He said if it continues or gets worse, then we needed to replace the transmission. Drove it like that for days until we had the check engine light come on. Took it to a transmission shop and they had to replace a part inside the transmission (forgot the name of it but he said it was the "heart" of the transmission). $800 compared to over $2000 for a transmission. It's been months and car runs great.
Old January 28th, 2015, 9:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
Post what codes it has, alot of times these transmissions are repairable. The key question is, When you drive this car does it drive ok cold and slip when the car is hot?Gary(i have a transmission shop in new york).
Just some information, the trans used in this car is the same one used in a nissan maxima