Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Equinox won't turn over after ECM removed

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2021, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Chevy Equinox

Hello 👋🏻
I need help , i was trying to fix my daughters suv cause her equinox was over heating and would not make it to the corner without already being in the red zone. So she parked it and it stayed there for a few months after checking the water pump , and replacing thermostat and doing a coolant flush. Also her husband put some sealer cause he had a tiny leak but that stopped. So it was a no fix and wr had no idea on what else to do. Lost my job due to covid so I couldn’t get to it sooner but i was able to hire a mechanic and he thought it was the heads cause there was slight water in it but told me not enough to do damage so he emptied and ordered new heads but as he went in there he noticed all four gaskets were extremely bad so he said that was probably the problem. So what he did was replace the gaskets. After that engine will not crank , start or click. All lights works , radio etc... (alarm will not sound?) the suv did start before the job and it had to be moved so he can repair on it from where it was. The key wasn’t coming out and the gear would not move before so he had to manually change the gear to neutral from the gear part under the gear changers in the center. When he fixed it it did start with a jump he ran to test but went about a block when it smoked from under the gear rest and then shut off. Now it wont do nothing but all lights are on and radio works , just no click , no crank No Start .... please help
Old September 4th, 2021, 11:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

There are times when every time we change something we introduce another problem, and that seems to be the case here.
This is going to require someone that knows what he is doing , has the proper information to conduct testing and start by rechecking everything that was done.
There is no easy solution when we get a situation where so many things have been disturbed/changed. Not to discourage, but try to get a good shop before putting any more $$$ into the pit.
Old September 5th, 2021, 10:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GodBless777
Hello 👋🏻
I need help , i was trying to fix my daughters suv cause her equinox was over heating and would not make it to the corner without already being in the red zone. So she parked it and it stayed there for a few months after checking the water pump , and replacing thermostat and doing a coolant flush. Also her husband put some sealer cause he had a tiny leak but that stopped. So it was a no fix and wr had no idea on what else to do. Lost my job due to covid so I couldn’t get to it sooner but i was able to hire a mechanic and he thought it was the heads cause there was slight water in it but told me not enough to do damage so he emptied and ordered new heads but as he went in there he noticed all four gaskets were extremely bad so he said that was probably the problem. So what he did was replace the gaskets. After that engine will not crank , start or click. All lights works , radio etc... (alarm will not sound?) the suv did start before the job and it had to be moved so he can repair on it from where it was. The key wasn’t coming out and the gear would not move before so he had to manually change the gear to neutral from the gear part under the gear changers in the center. When he fixed it it did start with a jump he ran to test but went about a block when it smoked from under the gear rest and then shut off. Now it wont do nothing but all lights are on and radio works , just no click , no crank No Start .... please help
Where's "under the gear rest?" At this point it sounds like you have a textbook case of a bad battery. Also, when you do get it running again, make sure the radiator cooling fans run. The connectors often fail on them which prevents the fans from turning on when they should. The fans not running could be what caused it to overheat in the first place.
Old September 8th, 2021, 3:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
Where's "under the gear rest?" At this point it sounds like you have a textbook case of a bad battery. Also, when you do get it running again, make sure the radiator cooling fans run. The connectors often fail on them which prevents the fans from turning on when they should. The fans not running could be what caused it to overheat in the first place.

hello yes gear rest i meant where the gear stick is for PRND12 under that dash was where he said it started smoking before it died on him, lights and radio work fine but won’t start the vehicle