Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2009 Chevy Equinox just did timing chain and no tach gauge

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2023, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevy Equinox just did timing chain and no tach gauge

Trying to help my grandfather, he just did the timing chain and crankshaft position sensor twice. And has it timed correctly, I believe. He’s quite handy on cars. But he got it all back together and when he starts it now has a miss when he first fires it up and the tach gauge goes all the way up and drops like normal but then stays at 0 while running and doesn’t move under acceleration or at all. Just seeing if anyone knows the problem or has ideas on the problem, he doesn’t have very much money and we work on all our own vehicles so just would like to get ideas on where to start
2.4 eco tech
Old September 12th, 2023, 10:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kaiden2011
Trying to help my grandfather, he just did the timing chain and crankshaft position sensor twice. And has it timed correctly, I believe. He’s quite handy on cars. But he got it all back together and when he starts it now has a miss when he first fires it up and the tach gauge goes all the way up and drops like normal but then stays at 0 while running and doesn’t move under acceleration or at all. Just seeing if anyone knows the problem or has ideas on the problem, he doesn’t have very much money and we work on all our own vehicles so just would like to get ideas on where to start
2.4 eco tech
That's not a 2009, it must be a 2010 as the 2009 Equinox was the older body style and didn't come with the 2.4L engine. The first thing you need to to is scan for codes and post them here. An educated guess is that the crankshaft position sensor is defective, damaged, or not properly seated. The mounting surface must be perfectly clean and smooth. The sensor must be a specific distance from the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft to function properly.