Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2011 Equinox Chain Failure

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2014, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Equinox Chain Failure

Well it finally happened to me. The timing chain that has seemed to be a large problem with the Equinox began making noise. It was due for an oil change soon (18%) so we scheduled the oil change and a recall notice repair for the oil sensor.

The day of the appointment the timing chain broke and destroyed the engine. The service tech told me today that they are weighing whether it would be cost affective to fix or replace the engine. He stopped short of telling me it was going to be covered. I have had the vehicle for three years and 64,000 miles. The dealership has done all my oil changes and maintenance since I bought it.

Can I assume that since this is an internal problem with the engine, it still has 18% oil life, is under 100,000 miles, and a common failure of the chain that they will cover all the costs? I had to have it towed 15 miles to our dealership. Will that be covered?
Old June 28th, 2014, 3:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I would think that the whole thing would be covered under the 5yr/100K mile Powertrain Warranty. When the timing chain snaps in an interference engine, usually all that happens is the valves are damaged. This only requires the cylinder head(s) (with new valvetrain parts) and timing components to be replaced. However, the engine should be disassembled and inspected to ensure the pistons or connecting rods are not damaged. Due to the labor costs involved in that process it may be more cost efficient to just replace the engine and that's probably what the service manager is trying to determine.

If this really is a common problem, GM may have already issued a TSB for it which informs the dealership of what needs to be done to fix the problem and the necessary paperwork they'll need to complete.

Last edited by ruley73; June 28th, 2014 at 3:40 AM.
Old June 28th, 2014, 4:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Adyre,

I’m very sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have experienced with your Equinox and I can definitely understand your concern. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to contact your dealership in regards to your warranty question. Please feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if any extra help is needed. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 28th, 2014, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

No need for intervention yet. I trust my dealer and understand no one can make guarantees until they determine how to handle the repair. I'm concerned with how a vehicle with 64000 miles and regular maintenance still has this problem. I am patient with repairs but I will not be paying for a new engine when the internal parts are still under warranty.
Old June 29th, 2014, 4:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Adyre
No need for intervention yet. I trust my dealer and understand no one can make guarantees until they determine how to handle the repair. I'm concerned with how a vehicle with 64000 miles and regular maintenance still has this problem. I am patient with repairs but I will not be paying for a new engine when the internal parts are still under warranty.
Please specify which engine your vehicle has.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

It's a 2.4 L engine in 2011 Equinox 1LT FWD. Yesterday (Tuesday) I went to my dealer to check on the car. I had not heard a peep since Friday. The Service guy told me they had decided to do a cost analysis to decide if they should just replace the motor. This is the same thing they told me Friday. He told me he would contact me Thursday (tomorrow). Still worried but still patient.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:58 PM
CF Pro Member

It's a 2.4 L engine in 2011 Equinox 1LT FWD. Yesterday (Tuesday) I went to my dealer to check on the car. I had not heard a peep since Friday. The Service guy told me they had decided to do a cost analysis to decide if they should just replace the motor. This is the same thing they told me Friday. He told me he would contact me Thursday (tomorrow). Still worried but still patient.
It seems odd that it is taking so long for them to make up their mind. Regardless of what they decide to do, the repairs should be covered under the powertrain warranty. Like I mentioned earlier, they are just weighing the cost of inspecting the engine and replacing only what's bad compared to just blindly replacing the whole engine. Replacing the engine would cost substantially less in labor charges, but cost a lot more in parts and vice versa for repairing the engine. Obviously, you'd prefer a new engine, but the engine may be able to be repaired in cheaper fashion by just replacing the damaged parts. You can't blame them for trying to save a few bucks.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 7:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Adyre,

We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience! Please keep us posted on the outcome. We are happy to assist further if needed.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Old July 7th, 2014, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Today the wife decided she needed at least a loaner car. She called the dealership and inquired about the Equinox. I had been told I would hear something Thursday but there was no word. She spoke to the tech working on the car (or at least the manager, there seems to be a guy at the counter we deal with and another that actually is doing the work). We were told:

1. The engine would not need replaced
2. The Warranty would cover the costs of the repair
3. We could have the use of a loaner car free of charge until the work was finish
4. The work would probably be done by Friday

She forgot to ask about the tow since we didn't know if the engine was going to cost us.

I feel quite a bit better now. My wife loves this Equinox and it has not had any issues since we purchased it new three years ago. She also got an Equinox as a loaner!

I am very glad that I was smart enough to get the oil changed when the car told me. I am glad I always used the same place I bought the car for maintenance. I am actually glad I get those emails from OnStar and my Dealership when things need done. They held up their end on the Warranty and will keep me as a buying customer. I will follow up with a conclusion.
Old July 12th, 2014, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Got the car back Friday. Fixed. Many parts replaced. The dealership didn't charge anything for the work. They did recommend I have it towed to the nearest dealership next time. They were nice about the tow to my regular dealership (which was 11 miles from where it malfunctioned) but said they will probably only cover $100 of it since the closest dealer was actually two miles from where it stopped. I'm good with that. They made good on their warranty and thats all that matters.

Bottom line is if your car sounds funny on idle take it the nearest dealership and dont be afraid if its under 100000 miles. It may the chain about wreak havok.

Quick Reply: 2011 Equinox Chain Failure