Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2011 Equinox - Less Than 60,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2017, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Equinox - Less Than 60,000 miles

My 2011 Equinox has less than 60,000 miles and needs a new engine? I have maintained this car, and received oil changes as suggested. And now I need an engine? Are there any recalls for this vehicle?
Old July 19th, 2017, 8:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BCarroll
My 2011 Equinox has less than 60,000 miles and needs a new engine? I have maintained this car, and received oil changes as suggested. And now I need an engine? Are there any recalls for this vehicle?
Did you ever check the oil between said oil changes? The 2.4L is known to have excessive oil consumption issues and GM has issued a Special Coverage campaign for this issue. Contact your local Chevy dealership to find out if there are any outstanding recalls on your vehicle or to find out if your vehicle is eligible for any Special Coverage campaigns.
Old July 21st, 2017, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

I did keep oil checked. What is a Special Coverage Campaign? I will be trying to get it to the dealer tomorrow.
Old July 21st, 2017, 5:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BCarroll
I did keep oil checked. What is a Special Coverage Campaign? I will be trying to get it to the dealer tomorrow.
GM issues a Special Coverage campaign when they decide to cover the replacement of certain parts if they fail within a specified period of time or mileage that extends beyond the normal warranty period. They usually send letters to owners informing them when they are issued. It's somewhat like a recall, but different in that the replacement of parts is only covered after they fail. Whereas with a recall, the faulty parts are replaced regardless of whether or not they fail and there is no limitation of time or mileage for the coverage.

What happened that leads you to believe you need a new engine?
Old July 21st, 2017, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

I was pulling out of a parking spot in a parking lot, speed of approximate 5mph, and this flashed on my car. Idled very rough and somewhat loud. Trying to stall. Finally got it home, and it did stall as I put it in reverse. Took it to 2 garages and they both had the same consensus - new engine.
Old August 10th, 2017, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it to the dealer because there is an oil consumption issue on these. I've got a 2011 and 2014 equinox and they both consume oil. I had my 2014 at the dealer and we did an oil consumption test (change oil, drive for 1k, and then check) and it was ok they said. I lose about a quart every 2k miles which the dealer said is normal for this car. My 2011 is doing the same and there is a special warranty issues on that one. I had no idea they consume oil and it wasn't until the engine rattled on turns like a valve slap, did I start to look into this and find that I'm always low on oil when that happens. Now I'm going to bring my 2011 in to do a consumption test and see what's up with the cat. You may have a case if the car ran out of oil on you because nothing comes on to notify you and i have been down 2 quarts at times before I knew this.

Now I just know to check the damn oil all the time and stocked up on AC Delco 5W-30 Dexos full synthetic and keep a couple of quarts in the car with me. If anyone is intersted, got the oil for $3.99 from jegs from this post https://www.autopartsforum.com/topic...30-dexos1-399/

As far as my chevrolet portal, for my 2011 i have a bunch of added warranties: