Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2017, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hey Wairishh,

We truly apologize, and we would never want a negative experience to come from your vehicle ownership. If you need any additional assistance with this, we would be happy to look into this further. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi Patsy im having this same knocking issue with my 13 equinox. Bought it with 100k and now has 102k miles same problem as many have said. Why is this happening this is my second equinox and the sound is just not normal
Old April 19th, 2017, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2016 Equinox FWD

My vehicle is making the same noise when in park. It is a few slow knocks followed by several fast knocks in the the back end of the vehicle. I have approx. 7000 miles on my car. It does not do this all the time however if I take it to the dealership I can not count on it to make the noise.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same popping noise

I called Chevy customer care and my dealer regarding this popping sound. I was first instructed by my dealer that they would not be able to repair my vehicle without have a code or having the sound happening at the time of my appointment. So, I called Chevy customer care. I was told by them that since I have no recalls regarding this issue that i would have to pay out of pocket for the repairs. I have had this vehicle for 3 weeks now, 3 WEEKS, and already I am having these issues. I mentioned the TSB and was told that it isn't for my year vehicle and that there was nothing that could be done! Great job Chevy! My husband is a die hard Chevy fan. Maybe this will be the vehicle that finally makes him come to his senses about this brand not being what it use to be.
Old May 14th, 2017, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default Is GM replacing the part

Hi I'm experiencing the same noise but the only warranty I have left on my 2013 Equinox that I just bought used in January is power terrain warranty.
I haven't taken my Equinox In yet because by the sounds of it everyone is getting no where unless it makes the sound when the mechanic has the vehicle. I would rather know what's going on so I can just tell the mechanic to fix this part.
I'm a single mom and really don't have the time nor the money to out of a vehicle for a long period of time while they try and figure it out.
Is GM replacing this part and why isn't there a recall for this?
Old May 15th, 2017, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

It took forever fighting with the dealership to fix it. It's the gas pump! The gas tank straddles the drive shaft. There is a gas pump inside the the gas tank to keep both sides level. There is something wrong with the leveling mechanism. The dealership guy had to search through Chevy's technical memos to find the problem. They ordered a new one and replaced it. I haven't heard the sound since.
Old April 10th, 2018, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy

I have a 2016 Equinox that is doing the same thing.. I have seen years and years of posts but it does not seem to be many from Chevrolet themselves. My question is why has there not been a recall on this?
Why is this still a problem almost 10 years later. There are posts from car owners of 2012 Equinox and here I am with a 2016 and having the same issue. This means Chevy has not listening to us as the consumer.
I have always had Chevrolets and loved them. They make great vehicles.
However there seems to be an issue with this one.. What is it and how do we fix it?
Old July 14th, 2018, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Equinox thumping sound

We have 2 Equinox in our family. My husband has a 2018 and my daughter has a 2014. They both make the thumping sound in the rear. Is GM replacing the auxiliary pump at no cost?
Old September 19th, 2018, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Just bought a 2015 Equinox at local dealer that had just come off lease. Had it for 2 days and started the knock noise from rear floor area. After reading everyones trouble here, I took it back to dealer for service to look it over. They say that they think it is only exhaust pipe expanding/contracting and said there is nothing they will do. NOT happy at all with this dealer. They said to come pick up vehicle as it is not a safety concern. They claim the number PIP5122B service bulletin is for an evaporator. So now starts the struggle to get them to fix this problem.
Old October 9th, 2018, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2015 Equinox that makes the knocking sound near the gas tank / back passenger side. It does this about 5-10 minutes after being started and is about 3/4 of the way warmed up. I have had it in to the dealership several times. I have explained in detail when they should expect to hear it. I have even recorded it with my phone. Every time they say they don't hear it. One time I had it in for this, after they claimed they couldn't hear it, when I got in my car to leave and started it up, the radio was blaring. How can you hear it with the radio on? The radio never should have been turned on if you are trying to hear a noise. Needless to say, I still have the noise.
Old October 9th, 2018, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

My dealers Service Manager went for a ride with me, heard the noise and agreed it was NOT exhaust expanding/contracting. I printed out more paperwork from Chevy sites explaining exactly how to recreate the noise. When they called to tell me it was ready for pickup the next day the service tech tells me that they tightened the exhaust system. Service manager would not come talk to me and they refuse to fix the situation. Mine still knocks...…… the dealer wont fix it...…….and Chevy continues to be silent on the matter. They won't issue a TSB, recall or at the minimum intervene on the behalf of its customers to the dealerships to get the issue resolved. LONG STORY short...…..DONT BUY AND EQUINOX!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end