Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2014 Equinox 2.4 4 cyl - Engine loud at startup then quiets down?

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2019, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Equinox 2.4 4 cyl - Engine loud at startup then quiets down?

Hello, my wife and I just bought a used 2014 2.4 4 cylinder Equinox. It is in excellent condition and seems to run and drive
nicely. I have noticed on cold startup in the morning that the engine sounds a little louder for about 20 seconds and then
quiets down. If you turn it off and then start it up again, its sounding quiet.

Is this typical for these cars? I don't hear any tapping. clicking or anything abnormal otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old June 29th, 2019, 11:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Could just be the normal cold startup. Cold engines don't run well. The computer will dump in extra fuel and adjust timing until the car warm up a bit. This will cause higher RPMs and louder engine noise. The RPMs will then settle down to a lower level and the engine will quiet down because of this. Does the sound correspond to movement of the RPM gauge.

Could be an exhaust leak at the heads depending upon what you mean by louder.
Old June 30th, 2019, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Hi and thanks for your reply back. Yes seems like its just a little louder engine noise. I do notice maybe a little click noise. And yes the sound does correspond to the RPM's and once they go down so does
the engine. I have recorded a video of it this morning with my phone, hopefully this video works so you can hear. Otherwise we love this car and it runs, great, drives nice and has lots of power and get up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDZ...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by neptune1; June 30th, 2019 at 1:12 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Loud at engine startup for 20 seconds

Hi all, I posted about this about a month ago. We have a 2014. Now having listened to it for a while this is what is occuring.

Only at cold start ups, it sounds loud almost like an exhaust leak, but then after about 20 to 30 seconds it quiets way down to normal and I no longer hear that exhaust sound.

Then as long as it's warmed up, upon start up it does not make that sound, only after about an hour of cooling back down or overnight on a cold start up.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance..
Old September 2nd, 2019, 8:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by neptune1
Hi all, I posted about this about a month ago. We have a 2014. Now having listened to it for a while this is what is occuring.

Only at cold start ups, it sounds loud almost like an exhaust leak, but then after about 20 to 30 seconds it quiets way down to normal and I no longer hear that exhaust sound.

Then as long as it's warmed up, upon start up it does not make that sound, only after about an hour of cooling back down or overnight on a cold start up.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance..
Sounds like a cracked exhaust manifold. This is a fairly common problem with the 2.4L engine. You could have a small exhaust leak elsewhere that goes away after the exhaust system warms up, but a cracked exhaust manifold seems more likely since it is a common issue.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, so what does the appropriate cost look like for a cracked exhaust manifold? And how long can you go without getting it repaired?
Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:00 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi, so what does the appropriate cost look like for a cracked exhaust manifold? And how long can you go without getting it repaired?
A new exhaust manifold is about $100. Labor guide says replacement takes 1.5 hrs for FWD models and 5.9 hrs for AWD models.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Ok thanks for all the info. It's a fwd. I'll just have to see what my shop gives as an estimate.

You would think Chevrolet would have done recalls since it's a common problem.
Old March 20th, 2023, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default same problem 2014 chevy equinox

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance..
did you found what was wrong with your suv mines is doing the same thing and i what to have a ideal thanks
Old March 20th, 2023, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default same problem 2014 chevy equinox

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance..
did you found what was wrong with your suv mines is doing the same thing and i what to have a ideal thanks