Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2014 Equinox rear power liftgate does not work.

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2019, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Equinox rear power liftgate does not work.

It will not open with either the button on the inside, key fob or the button by the rear camera. The fuse is good. Will replacing the push button switch on the liftgate fix it? thanks.
Old March 20th, 2019, 7:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

most likely not. does it try to lift at all and fail or no response?
Old March 21st, 2019, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
most likely not. does it try to lift at all and fail or no response?
It does not try to lift at all from all 3 sources, no clicks, vibrations, nothing.
Any idea of what the fix might be if replacing the switch on the liftgate might not do it?
Old March 21st, 2019, 8:32 AM
Super Moderator

the 2 buttons and the fob are only input requests to a module that commands the door to open. its unlikely that each separate input failed at the same time.
hard to say what is wrong without scan tool data and opening up the system to inspect.
Old March 21st, 2019, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Ok and I did hookup my ODBII and found no current fault codes nor anything in the history. My device is pretty basic so I might need a more advanced/expensive reader...........maybe a dealer or auto repair facility that can read more data and/or dive deeper into the vehicle's computer?
Old March 21st, 2019, 6:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryce Alford
Ok and I did hookup my ODBII and found no current fault codes nor anything in the history. My device is pretty basic so I might need a more advanced/expensive reader...........maybe a dealer or auto repair facility that can read more data and/or dive deeper into the vehicle's computer?
You'll need a better code reader. Most cheap ones only retrieve powertrain (Pxxxx) codes. Even then, it's possible that a bad latch won't throw any troublecodes.

Unless you have a wiring fault somewhere (check harness going to liftgate), I'm thinking that you need a new liftgate latch/actuator assembly (AC Delco p/n 84243380 w/power liftgate; p/n 13584872 w/o power liftgate). Some places have this part listed as a trunk latch or trunk lock actuator.
Old March 21st, 2019, 7:42 PM
Super Moderator

everything is controlled by a liftgate module...all the switch input data could be viewed with a scan tool that can access body systems. the remote operation is bussed to the liftgate module via a communication line
Old March 22nd, 2019, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, thanks for the replies. I will try to locate a better reader to see if I can retrieve any error codes. Any idea where this liftgate module is at?
Old March 22nd, 2019, 12:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryce Alford
Ok, thanks for the replies. I will try to locate a better reader to see if I can retrieve any error codes. Any idea where this liftgate module is at?
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm betting that it's probably the electronic part of the latch; not a separate item.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I have had my vehicle read by a good code reader and it only found some old fault codes related to my sunroof. All codes were cleared and the liftgate will still not operate from either 3 options.....button inside, key fob or button on the liftgate. I did find a replacement for the module online, around $200 and I can replace that myself, however the auto repair shop that read my vehicle said I would still have to have a dealership involved as they have to program the new module to my car? Is that correct?