Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2017 Equinox Headlight Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With 2017 Equinox Headlight Bulb Replacement

Good morning all, my question pertains to changing out the stock headlight bulbs on my wife's 2017 Equinox, I would like to install LED's for her but can not find any videos or help on how to access the bulbs. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

It looks as if I can remove three screws and pull out the entire headlight assembly, but that seemed odd to have to go through all that to install a bulb.

Thank You,
Marty

Last edited by Redeye65; March 23rd, 2017 at 8:47 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 9:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeye65
Good morning all, my question pertains to changing out the stock headlight bulbs on my wife's 2017 Equinox, I would like to install LED's for her but can not find any videos or help on how to access the bulbs. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

It looks as if I can remove three screws and pull out the entire headlight assembly, but that seemed odd to have to go through all that to install a bulb.

Thank You,
Marty
It should be similar to the older models (2010-2015) since the 2016-2017 models are mildly redesigned. If so, there is a round access panel you can remove in the fender well to access & replace the headlight bulbs. You will need a T20 Torx driver to remove the single retaining screw for this access panel.

Removing the whole headlamp assembly first requires removing the bumper fascia, so that is much more difficult. I've linked a YouTube video below that should help you.

Last edited by ruley73; March 23rd, 2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Thank You for the reply.

The 2017 does not have the access panel in the wheel well, it looks as if I can remove the whole mud guard in the wheel well to access the light, but again it seems like a lot to go through for a bulb.
Old September 26th, 2018, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default True, there is not an access panel.

Local chevy garage told me to remove the bumper there has to be a better way, please help
Old September 27th, 2018, 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

Robert, I have since replaced my headlight bulbs twice for my wife and the only way I have found is to go through the wheel well, you have to remove the splash guard, remove just enough plastic and steel retaining screws to be able to get your hand in there to turn the dust cap to access the bulb. If you are replacing with LED bulbs be careful which you purchase, the only brand I found that will fit under the dust cap are made by Hikari.... Most were too long and would hit the dust cap.

Hope this helps.