Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2017 equinox p0010

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2023, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 equinox p0010

I have a 2017 Chevy equinox 2.4 170k miles that I'm working on 3 months ago it popped a code p 0010, I replaced the exhaust VVT solenoid and the CEL cleared, and ran as expected.

The other day it popped for the same code I assumed it was a dud exhaust VVT solenoid. So I replaced it again and cleared the CEL The customer drove home and the code popped again.

I went out today visually inspected both VVT solenoids to make sure there was no debris or metal. (There was a minor amount of debris that I don't believe to be metal) I also noticed it was about a half of qourt low of oil. I added oil and snugged up the pins on the electrical connectors on both VVT solenoids.

This may be irrelevant information I noticed that there was oil in the air box so I cleaned out the PCV which had major buildup.

Not quite sure where to go from here.

Any help would help. 😎
Thanks in advance!
Old August 9th, 2023, 11:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by James B
I have a 2017 Chevy equinox 2.4 170k miles that I'm working on 3 months ago it popped a code p 0010, I replaced the exhaust VVT solenoid and the CEL cleared, and ran as expected.

The other day it popped for the same code I assumed it was a dud exhaust VVT solenoid. So I replaced it again and cleared the CEL The customer drove home and the code popped again.

I went out today visually inspected both VVT solenoids to make sure there was no debris or metal. (There was a minor amount of debris that I don't believe to be metal) I also noticed it was about a half of qourt low of oil. I added oil and snugged up the pins on the electrical connectors on both VVT solenoids.

This may be irrelevant information I noticed that there was oil in the air box so I cleaned out the PCV which had major buildup.

Not quite sure where to go from here.

Any help would help. 😎
Thanks in advance!
What oil are they using? What brand replacement VVT solenoids were installed? If the wiring and circuit testing checks out good, you're using an OEM VVT solenoid (GM 12679100 for exhaust, 12679099 for intake), and they're using the right oil (5W30), you're probably looking at a full timing job. Be sure to replace the VVT actuators (the camshaft sprockets) and bolts when performing the repair. The PCV oriface in the middle of the intake manifold often becomes clogged. This causes excessive oil consumption which eventually leads to failure of timing components if neglected for too long. The Ecotec 2.4L is actually a decent engine, but the simple issue of the PCV oriface clogging up leads to big problems.

Last edited by ruley73; August 9th, 2023 at 11:30 PM.