Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2018 Chevy Equinox LT AC issue

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2020, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Chevy Equinox LT AC issue

My AC recently started blowing warm air m, so I bought the ac recharge kit from AutoZone. However, the hose will not connect to the low side ac port. I've tried with the car on and off and have tried two different hoses but cannot get the hose to attach to the port. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?? Thanks!
Old May 31st, 2020, 1:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Would be surprised if a 2018 already needs a charge.
Still under warranty? If yes let dealer handle it.
IMO if you are not experienced in a/c system diagnosis & repair, find someone that is!
Old May 31st, 2020, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Would be surprised if a 2018 already needs a charge.
Still under warranty? If yes let dealer handle it.
IMO if you are not experienced in a/c system diagnosis & repair, find someone that is!
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I bought the vehicle used almost a year ago so there's no warranty. I brought to my dad whose been a mechanic for a long time and he checked it out and said the belt and compressor were both running so it looks like low freon. I just found out due to it being a "newer" vechicle, they've stopped using the R134A freon and have gone to the 1234 YF.
Old May 31st, 2020, 5:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 566 Posts

Manufacturer warranty still applies to vehicles that have changed ownership.

Whether or not A/C charge is covered is another matter though.
Old May 31st, 2020, 11:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvrzany
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I bought the vehicle used almost a year ago so there's no warranty. I brought to my dad whose been a mechanic for a long time and he checked it out and said the belt and compressor were both running so it looks like low freon. I just found out due to it being a "newer" vechicle, they've stopped using the R134A freon and have gone to the 1234 YF.
I highly doubt a 2018 vehicle has a refrigerant leak. The problem is most likely elsewhere. Make sure the heater blend door is working by confirming the air gets hotter when the climate control temp is set higher. Make sure the radiator fan is running while the A/C is turned on. If not, that's the problem. A tell tale sign of this would be if the A/C only blows cold air when driving at highway speeds.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (June 1st, 2020)