Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2018 Chevy Equinox Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2017, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Chevy Equinox Road Noise

I have been considering purchasing a new 2018 Chevy Equinox Premier LTZ. Very nice SUV with all the conveniences I like. Problem is the road noise is terrible. I had actually purchased the vehicle but brought it back the next day and cancelled the deal. The dealer then changed the tires to Michellin Premier tires but did not solve the problem. I plan to test drive a different Equinox to see if this is a problem with the Equinox in general or just that one vehicle. This seems like an old problem that has not been resolved.
Old July 12th, 2017, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

I also own the 2018 Premier and do not experience road noise. I did find the ride to be hard. The Premier comes with larger wheels which means skinnier tires. The cars are shipped with 45 lbs of which the dealer never changed. I set the tires to 33 lbs of air to reduce the problem. Other than that the car is very comfortable and includes most features I have in my 2016 Cadillac XTS. When I purchased my Cadillac I didn't buy the top package but the next one down because customers who bought the Platinum with the larger wheels complained about the ride.
Old June 4th, 2018, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2018 Road noise

I bought a 2018 Chevy Equinox on Dec 23rd 2017. The weather was bad so only drove it in the parking lot. After we got done with blizzards I was shocked to find out the road noise I had from this car. Too late to take it back, and have had 4 people from my dealership (including owner of dealership ) drive it , only to be told that is the way it is. They all have road noise. I find this very unsatisfactory. Was suggested I get it undercoated and that might help. I got it undercoated, and guess what it is even louder. I talked to chevy help line but they had no solution other then drive another Equinox and see if it's noisy. I was told by my dealer that they are all the same, and mine was not as noisy as some. So wondered how anyone had a solution to this problem And did you keep the car or get something else???.

Last edited by radairspike; June 4th, 2018 at 5:34 PM.
Old June 4th, 2018, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Did you keep the car. I have the same problem with mine !!
Old August 11th, 2018, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default Noisy on rough roads.

Equinox 2018 is noisy on rough roads plus wind noise as well. I tried driving in smoother roads and noise is minimal .
Old December 19th, 2018, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Equinox road noise

Just picked up my 2019 Equinox .The road noise coming from the rear is terrible. Almost thought it was a wheel bearing growling. not good.
Old February 19th, 2019, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dawa
Just picked up my 2019 Equinox .The road noise coming from the rear is terrible. Almost thought it was a wheel bearing growling. not good.
I installed Dynamat in the spare tire well and it appears to improve the road noise. I am also having dealer replace the rear cabin relief valves with the updated 4 valve ones to get rid of the thumping sounds at highway speeds.
Old May 20th, 2019, 4:47 AM
BP
CF Beginner

We bought our '19 LT in Feb. and just put 1,000 miles on it this past weekend. I find the road noise unbearable, particularly from the rear, and I couldn't wait to get out of the car. My '17 Cruze LT is much quieter. Somehow I thought if I spent more money, I'd get a car at least as quiet. I find it hard-to-believe a product manager could have signed off on this as acceptable.

Can someone show the dynamat installation in the spare tire well? How hard is it to do?

Thanks.
Old July 7th, 2019, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default Equinox Road Noise

I have the same problem with m 18 Premier 4wd. We can't carry on a conversation at 65 mph. Has anyone else tried changing the Hankook tires to Michelin or Goodyear? I have 10,000 miles now, and it would be a great road car except for the noise.
Old August 9th, 2019, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2019 Equinox LT road noise

Hi Group.
Am with you when it comes to the road noise.
With the windows up, no problem.
With the driver's window down, no problem.
With the driver's side rear window down it sounds like the entire vehicle will shake itself to pieces.
The noise starts at about 40mph and gets worse as speeds increase, with a resounding womp-womp-womp-womp sound.
Is this what anyone else is experiencing?
Please advise, and thank you.
Doug D.
St. Paul, MN