Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

After market stereo system install

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market stereo system install

I have a 2007 Equinox and I received a JVC KD-R875BTS stereo that says it is "steering remote ready." I was able to get the stereo in the car and working, but cannot figure out how to get the steering wheel remote to work with it. The harness set that I was given has a wire that has a tag that says "Steering wheel remote" but I can't figure out where it's supposed to connect to. What am I supposed to do with the wire?
Old January 2nd, 2017, 5:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacey Cordeiro
I have a 2007 Equinox and I received a JVC KD-R875BTS stereo that says it is "steering remote ready." I was able to get the stereo in the car and working, but cannot figure out how to get the steering wheel remote to work with it. The harness set that I was given has a wire that has a tag that says "Steering wheel remote" but I can't figure out where it's supposed to connect to. What am I supposed to do with the wire?
Unfortunately, the Equinox isn't like older cars that just require a mounting kit and wiring harness to install a new radio. You'll need to purchase and install a separate interface to properly install the radio and retain functionality of audible warnings/chimes, OnStar (if equipped), steering wheel controls, and Retained Accessory Power (what keeps radio & power windows active after turning the key off). The factory radio is commanded to power up by the BCM when the key is turned on and does not use a switched 12V power source like most older vehicles did.

There are a few interfaces available to retain these functions. Which one you need depends and which features you are looking to retain.

If you have the factory amplified stereo with the subwoofer, you'll also need to bypass the factory amp. Doing this will disable the factory sub unless you install an aftermarket amplifier to power it. I believe it is possible to install a new radio and retain the amplified system, but it would require some advanced wiring & modification. I am not aware of anyone that has successfully done so.

Last edited by ruley73; January 2nd, 2017 at 5:43 PM.
Old January 4th, 2017, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! Is there an interface you would recommend just to maintain the steering wheel remote capabilities? It has OnStar in the car, but we did not subscribe to it so I don't need to keep that and as far as other features go, the it's all the basic features
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacey Cordeiro
Thank you! Is there an interface you would recommend just to maintain the steering wheel remote capabilities? It has OnStar in the car, but we did not subscribe to it so I don't need to keep that and as far as other features go, the it's all the basic features
The Axxess ASWC-1 seems to have mostly positive reviews and isn't too expensive.