Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Brake noise, that doesn't seem to be the brakes

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2016, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake noise, that doesn't seem to be the brakes

Our 2012 Equinox has had an awful grinding noise when braking as you slow to a stop, that pulses in time with the wheel revolutions to the point that it can rock you in your seat. When it started happening I checked that the brake pads weren't worn out and the rotors were not scarred, and I let it go for a while assuming that a rotor was warped. I've been busy, so this went on longer than I ever intended (months) but has been very consistent the whole time without getting worse so I wasn't nearly as concerned as my wife. Now I've had time to work on it, and I started with the rear brakes. The pads were maybe just over 50% worn, and the rotors looked really good but I brought them in to be turned. Both were slightly warped, so I hoped that was the issue. I put everything back together and tested, still had the pulsing grind, so I took the front brakes apart. Front brakes had been done more recently and were not worn much at all, rotors looked almost new. When they turned the front rotors again both had a warp, but one was the worst of all 4 (this one took 6 passes on the lathe, the others took 2 or 3.) I hoped this time the problem was solved, but now I've just verified all 4 rotors are straight and true, and still have an awful pulsing noise that sounds like it's coming from the brakes! You can feel it in the floor, especially the front passenger. What can this be from?

You can only imagine how impressed my wife is with me now for telling her "it's just a warped rotor, I'll get to it..." while she has felt like the car is going to come apart for the last few months! I hope someone can help me out. ~Thanks
The following users liked this post:
msmom62 (January 9th, 2021)
Old April 6th, 2016, 8:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds to me like your ABS is kicking in at low speeds when it shouldn't be. See the attached TSB below.

PIC5428E EBCM Wheel Speed Sensor Diagnostic Aid for ABS.pdf
Old January 9th, 2021, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xnuke
Our 2012 Equinox has had an awful grinding noise when braking as you slow to a stop, that pulses in time with the wheel revolutions to the point that it can rock you in your seat. When it started happening I checked that the brake pads weren't worn out and the rotors were not scarred, and I let it go for a while assuming that a rotor was warped. I've been busy, so this went on longer than I ever intended (months) but has been very consistent the whole time without getting worse so I wasn't nearly as concerned as my wife. Now I've had time to work on it, and I started with the rear brakes. The pads were maybe just over 50% worn, and the rotors looked really good but I brought them in to be turned. Both were slightly warped, so I hoped that was the issue. I put everything back together and tested, still had the pulsing grind, so I took the front brakes apart. Front brakes had been done more recently and were not worn much at all, rotors looked almost new. When they turned the front rotors again both had a warp, but one was the worst of all 4 (this one took 6 passes on the lathe, the others took 2 or 3.) I hoped this time the problem was solved, but now I've just verified all 4 rotors are straight and true, and still have an awful pulsing noise that sounds like it's coming from the brakes! You can feel it in the floor, especially the front passenger. What can this be from?

You can only imagine how impressed my wife is with me now for telling her "it's just a warped rotor, I'll get to it..." while she has felt like the car is going to come apart for the last few months! I hope someone can help me out. ~Thanks
What did this ever turn out to be? My daughter has a 2012 Equinox with the same problem!