Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Broken stabilizer bar

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2016, 12:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken stabilizer bar

I just bought this 2011 equinox AWD and there was a rattling and clucking from the front end. When I jacked it up and removed the wheel the stabilizer link was broken, I got a new one and as I was removing the link the sway bar was moving all over. I went under and the sway bar was snapped, but it sure came out easy. The salvage yard had one with the links and bushings, $25 for a 2015 with 85k .
Putting in the new bar is a little bit giggery pokery but once you undo the steering arms it is not that bad . Once in place I put on the new bushings and just snuged them up. The link required an Allen wrench and a 18mm wrench, again time consuming but not that tough next was to reattach the steering arm, an 8mm wrench and the 18mm wench did the job but I could not use my torque wrench because of the Allen wrench and the 8mm so I just tapped them tight with the mallet. Then i tighten the 15mm bolts on the bushings. It took about two hours, not that difficult and far better than letting someone charge you a couple hundred dollars. $25.00 was a bargin, I took the link that cost $65 back
Attached Thumbnails Broken stabilizer bar-20160829_104047.jpg  
Old August 29th, 2016, 7:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Great job. That is the way to save money. I always say that it is a waste paying someone to do something you can do for yourself.