Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

CD player error

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2016, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD player error

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox with the single disc CD player. Earlier today, my wife and got in it and I started the vehicle. The CD, which had been playing fine before, immediately ejected and now reads "CD error". We tried re-inserting it and even another CD and it won't even accept them. If you try to force one in, it immediately ejects and reads "CD error". The entire time now the CD icon appears on the radio screen as if it has one in there already, but it does not.
I have tried blowing compressed air into it in case it was dirty perhaps and that hasn't worked. I also pulled it's fuse for a few minutes to see if that would reset anything and it did not. Same error.
Has anyone else had this happen? If so, is there a cheap fix or am I stuck trying to fine a whole new CD/radio?
Thanks!
Old June 20th, 2016, 5:04 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Try pulling the fuse for longer than just a few minutes - more like for a few hours or even overnight if possible. If the issue persists I'd remove the radio, take it apart, and inspect it to make sure there isn't anything else inside it. I've only read about one other person that had this issue. In their case a toll booth ticket had somehow become lodged in the CD player mechanism and was tricking it into thinking a CD was already inserted. The radio worked fine after removing the ticket. If you do end up needing a new radio, you'll find plenty of them on eBay for about $70 or less (for US8 radio - plays MP3 CDs).