Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

complete transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2012, 10:35 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by an07tahoe
I have done a lot of research on this topic. According to the professionals it is better to do a transmission flush because you will replace all 14 qts. When you drain the transmission you are only replacing 4qts.
If they were really "professionals", they would know that you cannot flush this transmission. The Aisin AF33 transmission in the Equinox doesn't hold anywhere near 14 qts.
Old June 27th, 2012, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correction....An equinox does not hold 14 qts of transmission fluid. I was referring to a tahoe. The idea is that if you do not do a transmission flush you are leaving old fluid in the converter. When you do a transmission flush you are changing all of the fluid. This is better for the life of the transmission. As a matter of fact I would probably do a transmission flush every 60K miles.
Old June 28th, 2012, 4:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by an07tahoe
Correction....An equinox does not hold 14 qts of transmission fluid. I was referring to a tahoe. The idea is that if you do not do a transmission flush you are leaving old fluid in the converter. When you do a transmission flush you are changing all of the fluid. This is better for the life of the transmission. As a matter of fact I would probably do a transmission flush every 60K miles.
I think most will agree that getting all of the old fluid out is important. It's the method that this is done that everyone has different opinions about. Just to clarify, there is a difference between a flush and a fluid exchange.

During a flush, fluid is pumped through the transmission by a machine. Whether this is good or bad depends on who you ask, but I myself don't support it.

In a fluid exchange the vehicle is started so the transmission pumps the old fluid out of one of the cooler lines while fresh fluid is added.

Last edited by ruley73; November 15th, 2016 at 7:05 PM.
Old June 28th, 2012, 7:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the new fluid exchange machines are safe and will connect to the equinox. It connects at the trans cooler line at the rad.

The problem is no one will fill there machine with a dedicated fluid that is rarely used.

The old flushing machines backflow the system and pressure pulse stirring up clutch material that will crud up the valve body.

The fluid exchange machines allow the trans oil pump to pump the fluid out in normal flow direction and fill without overpressurizing the system.

Before a shop does mine; I would make sure they have the correct machine.

Last edited by tech2; June 28th, 2012 at 7:20 PM.
Old June 29th, 2012, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Also, if you do a transmission flush I would recommend to go to a dealer that is reputable. I would not go to a jiffy lube for example.
Old June 29th, 2012, 5:40 PM
Super Moderator

don't flush....flush bad, exchange good.
Old August 10th, 2012, 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

Angry 2008 equinox "no plug, no dip stick, no exchange"

I have to say first that there are a lot of really intelligent people here on this forum, Ive been looking around on other forums and all Ive seen is how to make a chevy sound like its running on soy sauce. Anyway, I have an 2008 equinox and had the trans serviced at 40k like the book said 2 years ago. Now Im ready for another one. I went to the same place and was told that they no longer have the machine that hooks up to just the trans lines. ok, so, I start calling around and find a place that does... I get there and they proceed to tell me they cant do it because I don't have the "check" plug in mine. He proceeded to tell me that most do but occasionally they don't. Because they cant physically check to see the fluid level after the exchange is complete, they cant do the service. So, I call the dealer... $368!!!!! I poped a gasket! anybody know something I dont?
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by searaymike
I have to say first that there are a lot of really intelligent people here on this forum, Ive been looking around on other forums and all Ive seen is how to make a chevy sound like its running on soy sauce. Anyway, I have an 2008 equinox and had the trans serviced at 40k like the book said 2 years ago. Now Im ready for another one. I went to the same place and was told that they no longer have the machine that hooks up to just the trans lines. ok, so, I start calling around and find a place that does... I get there and they proceed to tell me they cant do it because I don't have the "check" plug in mine. He proceeded to tell me that most do but occasionally they don't. Because they cant physically check to see the fluid level after the exchange is complete, they cant do the service. So, I call the dealer... $368!!!!! I poped a gasket! anybody know something I dont?
Is your 2008 Equinox a Sport model with the DOHC 3.6L V6 engine? If so, nothing in this post would apply to your vehicle since it would have a different transmission (6-speed auto). At the moment, I don't have access to my repair resources so I couldn't tell you anything about the 6-speed auto.

If you have any trim level (e.g. LS, LT, LTZ) EXCEPT the Sport model you will have the same the 3400/3.4L V6 engine and Aisin 5-speed auto transmission. Just scroll up and read and your questions will probably be answered. Which reminds me, I think I have some pics somewhere that I intended to post in this thread. I will post if I find them.

Last edited by ruley73; August 10th, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old August 11th, 2012, 6:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by searaymike
by check plug you mean dipstick?
All trans options for 08 have dipstick. The af33-5 is hard to get at and is secured by a 6mm bolt.
the 6t70 and 6t75 have a easily accessible threaded on dipstick.

You must have the af33-5 trans because only people familiar with the trans can find the dipstick.
Old August 14th, 2012, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

ok, I feel like an idiot now! When I took it in to MULTIPLE places and was told the same thing, I assumed ( you know what that means ) they were right. I was in Sturgeon Bay Wi. over the weekend and for ****s and giggles stopped in a "new" lube place. Spoke to the head honcho about my dilemma and he chuckled and said pull it in. The "dipstick" is there. He let me know that most non GM places don't know where to look. So, long story-short, got it done with synthetic for $119.95! not gonna complain a bit. Thanks everybody, I was just panicking a little. Still love my 08 NOX with 95k

Quick Reply: complete transmission fluid change